1

TW // Abuse 

Kelsey's POV // Sydney, Australia 

I hop out of my car at school on the last day of my last year of high school. I can't believe it's already over. 

I see Calum, Luke, Michael, and Ashton, whom I've known and been best friends with since kindergarten, but our friend Jocelyn is nowhere to be seen. 

I eventually see her waiting alone by a tree, and when she sees me she smiles and walks towards me.

"What's up?" I ask.

"Nothing much. You ready for it to be summer?" She says. 

"Definitely," I respond, looking behind me, and I see my boyfriend, Derek, walking over to us.

"I should go find and talk to some other people," she says immediately as she sees him. She gives me a worried look as she walks toward the school building. 

She feels uncomfortable around him, and to be honest, I can't blame her. But she doesn't even know the half of it. 

"Hey," Derek says sharply, a scowl plastered across his face. 

"Hi." I say quietly, trying to make the uncomfort in my own voice unapparent. 

"You ready for summer?" He asks, uncharacteristically kindly. 

"Yeah, I guess so. I have a lot of stuff planned..." I say as I glance towards my friends, who are talking and joking around without me. How I wish I could be there instead of talking to this asshat.

"You looking at your boyfriends or something?" He snaps. Oh god, here we go again.

"No, I'm just.."

"You're just what? You don't want to have a conversation with your boyfriend because you'd rather be talking to your boy toys?"

"You say that like you don't have friends that are girls, and I trust you around them, but you don't trust me. Are you fucking serious, Derek?"

"What do you think?" He snaps as he grabs my arm. 

"Get your fucking hands off of me," I say, walking away from him. He doesn't chase me.

I turn around to look at him and see he has already started walking inside. What a dick. 

I walk over to the guys, and they all immediately get quiet when they see me approach.  They were talking about me, weren't they?

"Everything okay?" Luke asks.

"He's just being an asshat like usual. No big deal," I say, though I can't even convince myself of that fact. 

"You sure?" Calum says. 

"Yes, I'm fine," I say, and nobody says anything for a moment. 

Ashton glances over at me, and I can tell he knows I'm lying. He tries to hold my gaze but I instantly stare at the ground. He knows me better than anyone, but I know if I told him what was really happening with Derek, he would do everything he can to make sure he stays away from me. But I don't want Ashton to do anything, because I can do it myself. I can handle it. Derek may be the worst, but I still love him. I can't just let him go that easily. If I end it with him, I have to do it myself. 

Jocelyn walks over to us and breaks the uncomfortable silence. Thank god. 

"Let's get this day over with. Everyone ready to go to class?" She says. 

"Yeah, let's go!" I say cheerfully, trying to reassure the guys that I was in fact, fine. 

Luckily, Derek and I didn't have any classes together this year. Classes have become my retreat from the shit he's been throwing my way over the past few months, especially since all of my friends are in my classes.