Chapter Three: Reality

I could hear footsteps echoing through the dark like a drum beat off in the distance. It was a sound I constantly listened for. I wasn't in the business of being followed. But at least for the moment, I would let them think they were good at stalking their prey.

"So," I started, looking to Vera as we walked along the edge of the village, heading for the Northern gate. "Are you gonna tell me what this lead of yours is?" I asked.

"What's the rush?" She asked. I sighed.

"Just tell me."

"Why would I do that? You could just leave without me."

"We made a deal. I don't go back on my word." I assured. Another thing Paxer had taught me: Be true to your word. Most of the time.

"Yeah, but see, you could by lying about that. I don't know you that well." She replied, and smirked. I just stopped and folded my arms.

"Oh, alright. But you're no fun." I didn't reply to that. "I heard it from a rebel scout I may or may not have chatted up in a pub that the rebels have, or at least very recently had, a camp set up at a place your people call...Lake Michigan."

"It's not so much a lake anymore," I replied. "Just a giant, smoking crater for the most part. Good hiding place, though."

"What did The Dominion do to it?" She asked.

"Same thing they did to our oceans," I replied, recalling my Grandmother's stories about how blue and beautiful Earth's massive oceans used to be. I didn't need to explain it all to Vera, though. She had a planet of her own The Dominion had ruined, after all. If Karas had oceans, they weren't there anymore either. Lake Michigan, though, had been drained completely (killing all oceanic life) and had a mining tower planted right in the middle to make sure it stayed that way. The tower sent out a cloud of smoke and steam to keep people away, reducing the lake to a giant cloud.

"It'll take a few days to get there by caravan," She said, moving on. Talking about what The Dominion does to our homes always hung a sour note over conversations. "Assuming we can find one leaving that'll take us." I nodded.

"It's late now. Most won't be leaving until morning." I replied. I found it odd that we still had a concept of morning. It was always dark here now. It was rare to find someone who actually knew what time of day it was. "We'll need to find a place to stay."

"Why don't you get on that," She suggested. "I'll check the gates for caravans." She added. Again, I nodded. But she didn't immediately head off in that direction. I knew why.

"You've noticed them too?" I asked, quietly and without looking at her.

"Hard not to. They're not exactly stealthy." She replied.

"I'll handle it," I said. "You head for the gates."

"What makes you think they'll all stay on you?" She asked.

"You're little display in the pub scared them. They won't mess with you."

"All the more reason I should stay with you," She replied. "There are at least five of them. They may be drunk, but numbers are numbers."

"I'll take care of them." I assured. "Don't forget our deal. You follow my lead." She sighed.

"Yes, sir." She replied, sarcastically of course, and trailed off to head for the gates. I watched her for a moment until she rounded a house and was out of sight. And then I turned the opposite direction, heading down a side-path along the village wall.