1.0

[C O R B Y N  B E S S O N]

"christina, i'm home!" i called, as i walked into the home that christina and i share.

"okay! i'm in the basement!" she called back.

i set my stuff down on the couch and went downstairs to see what christina was doing.

to my surprise, christina and elaina were curled up on the couch together watching a movie and laughing. i'm so glad they get along well.

"hey girls." i said, kissing the top of christina's head and ruffling elaina's hair.

"hello." elaina replied, then focusing back on the tv. i could tell as soon as i walked in that she became uncomfortable. i don't blame her, though, with everything she's through. she really only trusts zach and jack.

"okay, go away now. i am trying to spend time with my new best friend." christina told me, waving me off.

"gosh, okay. i guess i'll go over to the boys' house. i'll be back later." i said, giving christina a kiss on the cheek and walking out of our house and down to the why don't we house.

when i walked in, it looked like david, jonah, zach, and jack were having a serious talk.

"am i interrupting something?" i asked, scratching the back of my head.

"no, we were actually about to call you to come over. come sit down. we have something we need to discuss." david said, pointing to an empty spot on the couch. "so as we all know, daniel has been a bit... distant lately, and by lately i mean the past four years."

we all nodded our head in agreement.

"i had a thought yesterday," he started, "that maybe to help daniel not to be so distant, we could have him be with one of you guys at all times. it's also another way to make sure he always comes to rehearsals." david suggested.

"i'm cool with that." i said.

everyone else agreed, so david call daniel downstairs to tell him the 'great' news.

"okay, so we we have something we need to tell you."

"okay, what is it?" daniel asked, his face emotionless and his tone annoyed.

"so you've been very distant and unresponsive lately, so we've all made the decision that you have to be with at least one of them at all times to make you less distant and to make sure you come to rehearsals." david said, his voice was stern.

"can you guys respect my privacy? no one understands! jonah is the only one who actually understands me!" he practically yelled.

"if you don't do this, then there's going to be consequences." david warned.

what? he never told any of us about consequences.

"what the fuck? consequences?" he barked.

"if you don't do this, there's no tour and the band is taking a break for an undetermined amount of time because we can't have one of our members acting like they don't even belong here." david told him.

we all sent daniel a pleading look and daniel reluctantly agreed.

"okay, i have to go now, but socialize. you rarely ever have human interaction." david said, standing up and walking out the door.

"oh my god this is so stupid." daniel groaned, going into the kitchen.

"well guys, i'm going home. i'm just going to watch the game because christina has a friend over." i said, getting up and walking towards the front door.

"wait dude, can i come with you? if you're just going to watch the game, i might as well come with you." daniel asked, walking over to me.

"but, uh, christina has a friend over." i really didn't want daniel and elaina to cross paths.

"so what? we'll just ignore them." he said.

i looked at the boys with a pleading expression on my face, but they couldn't get the hint that the friend was elaina.

"just promise me this, we won't cross paths with them and we won't see them the whole time. she doesn't hang out with this friend very often and i want them to have alone time." 

"yeah, sure. let's go." daniel said, opening the door and going outside.

i rolled my eyes and we walked down the street to christina and i's house.

as i went inside, i made sure he went into the living room without looking into the basement.

"who's playing?" daniel asked. it's football season, if you're wondering.

"the chiefs and the raiders." i replied, turning on the tv and going to espn.

once i knew all of his attention was set on the tv, i texted christina to let her know daniel was here and to keep themselves downstairs until further notice.

--

me: keep elaina downstairs. david made a rule that daniel has to be with one of us at all times, so he wanted to come with me. he's here and we're in the living room watching the game. please don't come in here.

my baby💞🌷: shit, you could've given us a head's up. we're in our room.

me: that's literally right down the hall from the living room. 

my baby💞🌷: well, elaina said it doesn't bother her that much to see him and we're hungry, so we're getting dinner from the kitchen.

me: but it's going to bother daniel to see her.

my baby💞🌷: that's his problem. we're coming out.

--

i heard the bedroom door open, and christina and elaina strutted out, laughing and smiling at something one of them said.

i saw daniel look up, but then his head immediately shot down to look in his lap.

i saw elaina glance at daniel, and her smile faded. she continued to walk to the kitchen to make themselves dinner.

"this is why you didn't want me to come, isn't it?" daniel mumbled.

i nodded my head in response and he sighed.

"but as long as you're fine, you can stay here. i was actually having fun." i told him, bumping his shoulder.

he smiled and we both turned our attention to the tv.

a few minutes later, i heard, "christina, you undercooked the noodles and didn't put enough the water in the pot! these are the worst buttered noodles i've had in my life!" then a laugh.

daniel's head perk up at the sound of the laugh and i could tell he was heartbroken.

he's so heartbroken, and she is the only way to fix it.