Silence

I had decided to live in complete total and utter silence as the months progressed. I was patiently waiting for the moment in which she gave birth, not realizing it was the same month in which my son had died. 

He had spent six months of his short life with me and forgetting him was an impossible task. I lived with his memory every day of my life. The way his presence made me smile on the gloomiest of days was something I could not easily forget. 

He was very much wanted and adored. He was the reason my days seemed brighter and life seemed more beautiful. 

I kneeled in front of his grave and placed white roses beside him. 

"He would've been three this year." I heard his voice say from behind me. 

"He would've been going to pre-school next month. I got a flyer in the mail I suppose they hand them out to all of the houses. It's cruel." I said as I held the pendant with his birthstone tightly in my hand. 

I wiped my eyes free of any tears and stood up. As I began to walk away he held me by my arm. 

"I've been very cruel to you these past few months and I apologize. "

"What do you want?" I asked raising a brow knowing his too well. He didn't apologize without wanting something in return. 

"I'll hand over fifty-five percent of the company if you're present for the birth and stay in the house for an additional six months. I don't want any big scandals surrounding his birth it might affect him in the future."

"What makes you think I give the slightest fuck about your son? He can have the world's trashiest reputation for all I care. He's nothing of mine and I'm perfectly content with half of everything, it's more than what you paid for me." And with that, I walked away leaving him in complete silence. 

***

It was a week and a half later when I had decided to break the vow that I had made myself. 

I had spent a night with a man who was not my husband but would soon be. 

After a romantic dinner that he had planned out Charlie and I ended up in his bed for hours getting to know each other in ways, we had not. 

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I asked with a smile as he stared at me. 

"I'm glad to know I make you happy. I promise as long as I'm alive it will always be that way. " 

I pulled him closer and placed a kiss on his lips. 

"You're too sweet Charlie." The smile on his face faded

"What's wrong?" I asked sitting up. 

"I have to go away for a while Flo. " He said avoiding my gaze.

"How long exactly is a while Charles?" 

"Eight months."

"Eight months?! Why?!" I asked slightly pissed off. 

"Before I got here, I signed up for a mission trip to Colombia and I'm afraid I can't cancel now."

"Well can't I go with you?" 

"No, I'm afraid not." He said taking my hand in his. 

"You're working for the CIA again aren't you Charlie?" I asked pulling away.

"Don't be like this Florence. Not tonight, I leave in two weeks and I don't want things to stay this way."

I nodded and he pulled me into a hug. 

"You know I do all of this to help others Florence. I promise I'll stay out of harm's ways for you." He placed a kiss on my lips and began to kiss down my neck. 

***

The silence in the room was suffocating. No one could figure out who should speak first. 

A know was heard from outside the door.

"Enter." He said with authority in his voice. 

The nurse stammered in her bright pink outfit only made my heart clench even further. 

"S-Sir, Ma'am I need a name for the baby. It's for the birth certificate."  She stammered.

I raised my eyebrow in curiosity wondering what they'd name the little bastard. 

"Flora. Her name will be Flora" 

He expected my response as he held my hand in his.

"This is not the time for melodrama Florence." 

"You're a bastard." Was all I said as I walked out of the room leaving the happy family behind me. 

"Breath." I heard Charlie say from behind me as he chased me down the hallway. 

"Don't let him see he's crawled under your skin."

I spun around to face him with tears in my eyes.

"He named her after me. How is that fair? Before Alexander was born we agreed to name him Flora if he turned out to be a girl. He's yanking my heart into a million pieces and now I'm stuck with him for six more months." 

"You signed it?" He asked. I could tell my decision hurt him.

"Yes, you're not going to be here either way and by the time you come back, I'll have my own place. "

"I understand, I promise I'll try and get back as soon as I can." He said as he embraced me. 

He dug around in his coat and pulled out a key.

"If you ever need to get out of the house, my house is yours."

"Charlie, you don't have to," I said attempting to give him the key back. 

"I want to, I want to know I'm leaving you with a backup plan. "

"I love you, Charlie." I said as I stole a kiss from his lips