Chapter 6: Yes. She is human and she is not deaf. She can hear you.

Chapter 6: Yes. She is human and she is not deaf. She can hear you

P.S- The song to the side is the song that was being played during the dance scene. So, listen to it when you're reading the dance scene

"Sit still, my lady!" exclaims the seamstress. I bite my lip, resisting the urge to yelp as the pin in her hand accidentally pokes my shin. She’s adjusting and tending to my gown, but damn, was this process one that is unbelievable boring and painful. The things us girls do for beauty. The reason I'm here can be defined in one word. Frost.

This morning, which is actually supposed to be the time when all vamps are asleep, he woke me up and told me it was time I was introduced to court. Like always, Frost planned an even all out: a ball. In which I would be meeting and socializing with other vampire royals.  

The part that irritates me the most is the fact is the stupid vampire king that is throwing this ball is sleeping his ass off while I'm getting fitted for a gown that I didn’t even want, and does not help me breathe the proper amount of oxygen a human like me needs.

Since Matt had arrived at the castle moments before the fitting session, he decided to help me by giving me moral support. Meaning he's sitting right over there on a chair right across from where the seamstress is getting me fitted.

"I would if this dress wasn't blocking my only passage of oxygen.” To make a point, I squeeze the boddice, which is like a second skin against my ribs, “I'm still human, you know that right?"

"Frankly, my lady, I'm surprised it's taking this long for King Frost to turn you. It didn't take this long for him to turn Maria."

As those words leave the seamstress's mouth, I feel a sharp pang hit my heart (which I’m surprised to even feel because of the damn boddice, all my internal organs are pressed against each other in a numbing sensation.) I don't know why but it hurt me a little when I heard that. Sure, these past few days Frost has grown on me a little, but I can't say that I love him. The pain I’m feeling in my chest, though, is telling me otherwise.

"Why is it so important to introduce her to court? Can’t Frost just be like, 'Hey, this is Mary. She's my new bride and uh well she's gonna be your new queen so yeah?’" Matt questions, his tone an unnecessary bold.

Another odd sensation pauses through me. I’m feeling multiple things now, between an uneasiness for my feelings towards Frost, and angry towards Matt. I felt like I needed to defend Frost, but this was Matt, my best friend.

I brush the odd feeling off, instead narrowing my eyes at Matt, "This isn't Shadow Valley, Matt. Ow!" I look over at the seamstress, whose kneeling to my side with a pulp sewing ball and pin in her hand.

She smiles sheepishly, "I'm sorry. It was a mistake." I note her fangs, they were transparent through her best attempt at a human presentation. I’ve been doing that a lot lately, I’m not sure why.  

I nod, and the seamstress continues on with pinning. I sneak a glance at Matt, "As I was saying, this isn't Shadow Valley. For some unknown reason fate decided to put me in this position and if you don't want to be here Matt you could have just left when I told you to."