Chapter 16: Fairy Dust.

CHAPTER 16

“I said close your eyes, Mary. Don’t you dare open them.”

I chuckle. “Alright, Alright, I won’t open them, geez.” I say, continuing to walk blindly to the sound of Frost’s instructions. I can feel his laugh ring through his chest into my back, the proximity creating a garden of butterflies fluttering in my stomach.

After Frost’s eerie message, I had gone to visit Rhea. I sat there next to her bed, with this gause of curiosity - due to the fact I’d never been in her quarters before that visit - I’d examined the contents of her room with a face of awe. Rhea’s room displayed the rich culture she has come from; with greenery littering the room, 4 large windows with similar angles of the early rising of the sun, and ancient variations of literature kin of her witchcraft ancestors. Rhea was laying on her bed, the canopy covering her entire body up to her shoulders, and she was a great deal paler than the last time I saw her. Matt, who surprisingly has been by her side the entire duration of her ailment, assured me Rhea was simply exhausted and was taking a well deserved nap.

Rhea was barely awake, slipping in and out of consciousness, but I felt like she would need the company, so I decided to update her on the events that followed after she was quarantined for exhaustion. She wasn’t surprised when I told her Maria and Eva came back to life. She told me she found out before I did, but had stayed silent when I consulted her about the situation with Eva.

She told me that I did it for my own survival, that it was justified and okay. I then proceeded to describe Isabelle’s situation, and how at the moment we were waiting for her body to either reject or accept Erebus’s blood, and my worries about either options. I was stopped halfway because Frost had wanted to speak to me.

Apparently, I spent the entire night talking to Rhea, and by the time Frost had come over to Rhea’s chambers to fetch me, it was already morning. I was hungry for blood, not for food, which is still strange for me as I’m still getting used to my new vampiric appetite. Frost had asked me to let Rhea rest and told me to come with him.

He then told me after I closed the doors of Rhea’s room that he had a surprise waiting for me. So, he asked me to close my eyes and he’d been leading me like a blind man to some place for some unknown reason for a while now.

“Where are we going?” I ask. This isn’t the first time I’ve asked Frost this, in fact, I’ve asked him more than thirteen times, but he’s either avoided it or brushed it off, never really answering it.

“You’ll see,” he replies. The joy in this voice makes my heart swell with the very same thrive of excitement. I thought the little talk we had would have surely caused some kind of tension between us for at least a few days, but it surprises me that he’s all smiles and giggles.

What surprises me most is the smell of daffodils that suddenly enter my nostrils and the slight irritation my skin feels at the touch of sunlight, “Wait.” I pause movement, and to avoid stumbling into me, Frost sharply stops and beneath us I hear the soft crush of pulp as he takes tenacious steps back. “Are we outside?”

“I said, you will see, stop asking so many questions.”

He puts his hands on my shoulders and turn me to the left. I refrain from laughing by chewing on my bottom lip. “Well, I would stop asking stuff if this was a normality, but it isn’t. You don’t suddenly want to surprise me, especially after a weird conversation like the one we had before you left me in the room, alone, might I add.”

“Mary, just trust me, okay? You know I won’t hurt you.”

I sigh.

I know you won’t.

“I know, I know.” He pushes my shoulder down and I feel my butt touch the ground. “Can I open them now?” I ask.

“Yes, you can.”