Chapter 18: Brothers.

This chapter is unedited, please excuse the mistakes.

CHAPTER 18

“Frost?” 

“Niles!” Frost exclaims as he runs over to the one called Niles. They hug each other. “Brother!” Frost says pulling away, “What are you doing here?”

Niles smiles warmly at Frost. “Mother didn’t tell you?”

“Tell me what, brother?” Frosts asks.

Niles sighs. “I’ll tell you later, I’m tired from the journey and I need to rest for a bit.” He then looks at the guards and then at me. “I’ve been very roughly treated by your men and Maria over there refused to let me speak with you. Though, I don’t understand how the wench is alive. I thought Tybalt murdered her three hundred years ago.”

“That’s not Maria, Niles. Her name is Mary but Maria is still alive and well.” Frost tells him.

Niles looks at me dumbfounded, he runs his hand through his hair. “Whatever it is, can we address those dreary matters tomorrow, I need a bath and so does Midnight over there.” Niles says pointing at the dark horse behind me. “Do you have a free horse stable to place Midnight in? I don’t think he likes the other horses very much.”

Frost nods. “Yes, I do.” Frost looks at the guards. “Take the horse to the stables, don’t group him with the other horses, do you understand me?”

A guard nods. “Yes, sire.”

Frost then puts his arms over Niles, “Come in.” He then looks at me, “You too, Mary.” I nod and we all go back into the castle. Frost then proceeds to tell me to lead Niles to an empty room closer to ours as he has to continue entertaining the guests at the ballroom. Niles tried to object but I speak up before he does, “I will.”

Frost smiles, “Good. I’m sorry you’re in charge with the duty but I don’t think Niles would like it very much if a servant showed him around.”

“I’d rather a servant than a Maria look-alike.”

“Niles, please behave, the similarities between Maria and Mary stops at their appearance. Believe me, please.”

Niles sighs. “I will, I will.”

It is here that Frost chooses to take his leave and head down the hallway to the left leading to the ballroom. I on the other hand, lead Niles to the right to the second staircase leading to a hall where my room with Frost is, around the corner of the hallway is an empty room and I think that would be perfect for Niles to reside in.

As we’re making our way up the staircase, I decide to break the awful silence with some conversation. “So, you’re Frost’s brother huh? Are you the older one or is he?”

He falls in step with me. “We’re fraternal twins, Frost older of course but what does it matter? We’re both immortal either way.” I stop and stare wide-eyed at him. Niles stops walking and turns to face me. “What?”

I blink back my astonishment. “You mean you two are biological brothers? Like you two shared the same set of parents?”

He stares at me like one would do when a stupid person said the most obvious of things. “Isn’t that what the word brother means?”

I nod slowly. “Well, yeah but he calls Tybalt, brother too so I would have thought that he meant you’re his brother as in the two of you are close enough to be brothers.”

Niles for the first time tonight shows me an emotion different from the anger and heated glares he’s been shooting me since we’ve met. “He’s reconciled with Tybalt? When? And why?”

“A month or two ago and because he found out that Maria had been playing him for a while now.” I say, not breaking eye contact with Niles.

Niles, if you really look at him, looks nothing like Frost. Probably the only similarities they share is the fact that they have the same hair colour and the same jawline and build. Personality wise, they’re quite the opposite, well, at least I think so anyway.

“Whatever, I can’t expect you to understand what’s going on, even I don’t understand what’s going on. How are you here and how is Maria alive?” He asks continuing his walk up the stairs.

I fall in step with him again, “Pretty easy actually, it’s a long story but basically, Rhea preserved Maria’s essence and made sure she would be reincarnated, that explains our faces but Rhea knew what kind of person Maria was when she was alive, so Rhea made sure to make me the opposite of Maria and yeah, I don’t really know how to explain how Maria is back though, that’s a very long story.” I say.

“And I’m not in the mood for long stories, so I’ll let my brother explain when I get up tomorrow.”

“Which reminds me, you’re a vampire right? Why do you feel tired at night?”

“Because you twat, I’ve gotten very little sleep due to the urgent nature of my arrival to my brother’s castle was and still is.”

I stare at Niles insulted. “Did you just call me a twat?”

He rolls his eyes. “God, are you deaf as well as dumb? Yes, I did, now if you would stop pretending to know your way around the castle, I’ll take my leave and go to my room.”

I blink and stare at him surprised. “What do you mean?”

“We’re in the North Wing, You idiot. You got yourself lost while you were talking to me.”

I stop walking and so does he. I look around and stare at the window overlooking the castle gardens and the dark starry night. Shit. He’s right, We or rather I,  took the wrong turn and ended up somewhere very far from where Niles’s room is supposed to be. “Well, crap. Why didn’t you say anything?”

“Because it was amusing to see you get yourself lost in a castle you’ve been staying in for a month or two and crap, indeed. I trust you can find your way back to wherever you need to be. I can navigate the castle well enough without your help, so, I’ll see you around then, Maria look-alike.” He says this and starts making his way back to his designated room.

“It’s Mary! And how do you even know where your room is supposed to be?!”

“I’ve lived in this castle for over a hundred years, you idiot, I know this place like the back of my hand.”

I sigh as soon as his back turns a corner and disappears from my line of sight. He is really something else, that Niles and I don’t know if that’s even a good thing.