Prologue

Sky crouched down as she crept up on a mouse. As Sky crept closer and closer, she heard a mew. Sky looked up from the rodent, and look around. She couldn't see any cats or kittens. She then heard another mew.

The blue-gray she-cat followed the mews and found four kittens. She sniffed the kits to make sure they didn't have fresh scent of other cats. They all had different scents. Whoever put them here, they must have thought it was safe, Sky thought. But it's not safe if they keep mewing!!  Sky grabbed a tom-kit and started walking in a direction, and stopped suddenly. Where would I take these kits? She wondered. Sky thought and thought and thought. I know! I could take them to the barn I discovered the other day!

She started to sprint towards the barn. 

Once she got there, she went up the ladder in the barn. It would be safer for the kittens since they are harder to reach for the humans. Sky placed the little tom-kit down and walked down the ladder.

Sky wrapped the four kittens around her tail. They squirmed around her belly trying to get milk. "I'm sorry little ones," she whispered to them. "I don't have any milk." These kits may not be mine but I can take care of them. They don't have to know that they have no father until they are old enough to understand.