Chapter 3

Dust saw Snow laying her head on top of her paws. Once the she-cat saw them, she lifted her head.

"Your back!" she mewed. Snow blinked. "So, uh, what happened while I was gone?"

Dust looked up at the trees. He then looked back at Snow. "They kept us alive."

"Sky believes that we'll regret leaving that barn," Night snarled. "As if!"

Snow blinked at them. "Well... We might.." She sighed. "Where are we going to go now?"

Dust thought. Yeah.. Where are we going to go? "We're just going to find a random place to live." Night nodded. The tabby tom flicked his tail and started to leave them. "I'll go hunt," Night called over his shoulder. Then he left.

Dust felt his stomach crying for food. Snow mumbled something he couldn't catch. "Snow?"

Snow looked up startled. "Oh sorry," she meowed. "I was distracted.."

Dust nodded slowly. "Okay.. Let's take a nap. When we wake up, Night's gonna be back."

Night tasted the air for the scent of prey. Then he heard something. Yes! Night thought. I finally found something. He crouched down the followed the noise. Night eyes were searching for the prey.

A small fluffy brown tail suddenly peeked from a bush. A squirrel.

Night got ready to pounce on the squirrel.

"Watch out!"

The squirrel ran away at the cry. Night stood straight up and turned his head around. He didn't see anything. A fox leaped at him and scratched his shoulder. Night hissed at the fox. Leaping at the fox, a sudden thought came to him. What if I die? I'll never see Snow nor Dust again.

A gray cat leaped at the fox's leg. The tom bit down in it and the fox yelped.

"Go for the neck!" Another voice said.

Night hooked onto the fox's back and slowly crawled to it's neck. He then bit down into the fox's neck. The fox let out a shriek of pain. It shook the gray cat from it's leg. Night leaped off of it's back.

The wounded dog fox ran away, barking in pain.

Night looked at the cats who had helped him.

The gray tom that warned him about the fox had a dark gray stripe down his back. His right eye was green while his left eye was blue. The tom's tail was also the same dark gray as his stripe.

The other tom was light brown with white ears. His tail-tip and his left fore paw was white also. On his chest was a diamond-shaped marking which was white also. He had green eyes.

"Thanks," Night said. "I'm Night by the way. You guys are..?"

"Ash and Cliff," the gray tom meowed. I'm guessing that the gray one's Ash, Night thought. The other one must be Cliff.

"Your welcome, Night." Cliff dipped his head. "We have to leave now."

Ash nodded. "We're supposed to be looking for some cats in the city."

Night tilted his head. "Who?"

The two loners didn't say anything.

Night nodded then. "I'd better find some prey now." Then Night left.