II

Attached picture of 7 year old Jane...

Ten Years Ago...

Seven

I struggle to keep up with Jane as she races through the woods. I remember my parents telling me not to go in, because the boogeyman lives here, but Jane kept telling me that it was a lie, and that she had something important to show me.

She tugs at my hand, rushing me to what seems to be an old house?

"What's that?" I question.

"Dunno, but watch this" I observe her reaching to a small pebble on the ground. She takes aim and launches it straight at the house.

I gasp in shock as the rock stops abruptly, hovering in mid-air for only a few seconds before dropping back on the ground.

"Woah, that's freaky!" I say.

"I know right! I was here yesterday throwing all sorts of stuff, the same thing kept happening," she says, giggling.

"Cool," a small smile creeps on my face," I wonder what's inside,"

Jane's expression drops as she looks at me.

"Inside? W-We can't go in there," 

"Why not? It's not as if anyone lives here. Look at all the holes in the roof!" I try persuading her.

I notice her bottom lip perks out, quivering.

"W-What if you're wrong? What if we get into trouble," She pauses. "What if something bad happens?" Her fists ball at her sides.

I turn towards her.

"Hey...You still have the present I gave you for your birthday, right?" I ask.

She nods, sniffing, reaching to the old whistle that hangs as a necklace around her.

I smile. "Good, now remember what I told you when I gave it to you?"

"T-That if I ever felt scared, that I would blow the whistle, a-and you'll come and protect me.."

Jane brings the whistle to her lips and blows, letting out a high-pitched shrill that rises and falls into echoes around us. She giggles and smiles.

"You're my best friend, Jane. I'll never let anything bad happen to you," I tell her.

I glance back at the ruins, somehow its atmosphere is calling for me..I resist the urge to storm inside. 

I turn my attention back to Jane.

"Listen, if you don't want to go inside, we don't have to. We can play tag or something if you're too scared-"

"I'm not scared!" She looks at me, clearly upset. I could tell by her face that she's conflicted. "J-Just, promise me that you'll watch out for me.."

I nod firmly. "I promise, if you want I can go in first, you just wait out here," 

My heart starts hammering against my chest as I walk towards the house, opening the loudly creaking door. 

It's completely dark, I could barely see without the sun peering through the broken window.

"H-Hello?" I call out, I hear my voice echoing, until I hear an echo in a voice that I don't recognize.

"h-hel-l-O-O-o-o......" 

I shutter, feeling as if someone's watching me from afar.

"Is...someone there? What's your name?" I ask.