VI

Picture of Christian Navarro as Lucas

Lucas

I head back to school after dropping Seven, Lily, and Ava off at the library, grabbing whatever books I left in my locker. En route, I absentmindedly reminisce of the scenes at the coffee shop, and now in my car. 

The cheek kiss was absolutely unplanned, but it eased me nonetheless. I was beginning to think my relationship with Seven would soon blossom into something more, and that made my heart skip a beat. 

"Mr. Thomas.." A voice calls from behind me, snapping me out of my thoughts. I swiftly turned to see Mr. Cooper, which made my mood shift. 

"A word, please," He gestures to his opened classroom. I nod, fear looming in the pit of my stomach. 

I step inside as he shuts the door. He sits at his desk as I nervously glance at him. 

"Have you thought about what I said earlier today?" he asks. 

"About my extracurricular?" his aura darkened as he faced me with a glare.

"You know that is not what I'm talking about," I felt the need to lash out at him, but I knew that would only make matters worse.

"Mr. Cooper," I started. "Thanks for your concern, but I'm fine. My grades aren't slipping and-" 

"That's just it. Your grades are fantastic, you show up to class early and manage to complete extra-credit assignments. You even tutor and ace every exam and essay on top of your student council duties.." My brows furrow in confusion.

"Are you saying that I'm too good of a student?" 

"What concerns me is your recent change of behavior," he states. My..behavior? My mouth runs dry as I gulp nervously.

"Tell me, Lucas, are you having trouble sleeping? Maybe feeling bouts of anxiety every now and then?" He presses on. A thousand excuses run through my mind as I shift uneasily.

"I've seen cases similar to this before. Bright students let their ambition overweight their available time and energy. And when said students overexert themselves, they turn towards...relaxers.." I stuff my hands in my pocket as my breathing turns ragged. 

  "I-I don't know what you're implying, sir--" 

"Oh? Then maybe we should have a meeting with the principal and your parents about this matter... however, should you be found of your wrongdoings you could be suspended.." my blood runs cold as my jaw drops.

"Suspension?! I can't have that tarnish my record!" I try reasoning, as the lights suddenly flicker. Mr. Cooper ignores me, giving a frown.

"I do hope you'd understand I'm doing this for your own good, Mr. Thomas," he reaches inside his desk to fetch a pen, but I notice a black coiled serpent, ready to strike. My eyes widen.

"Mr. Cooper--" I watch in horror as the python pounces on his chest. He screams in fear as the it snakes to the most vulnerable part on the human body, his neck.

I look around my surroundings desperately, finding a mop left by the janitor leaning in a corner. I sprint towards it, rushing back to Mr. Cooper to see him struggling with the snake. I swipe ferociously, hitting the python off his body. It slithers into the darkness.

"M-My neck, b-b-bit me..." Mr. Cooper chokes out before spanning into some sort of hyperventilating attack. Shaking, I call for help out of the hallways. The school janitor quickly dials the emergency services as multiple causes flash in my mind. One does make perfectly clear sense to me, as my hands shake.