XVII

Seven

Andy's screams still rings in my ears as I fend against wave after wave of Redfield's monsters. The gym falls into chaos quickly, students and faculty pouring out of the exits as my friends and I fight. 

"They're only after us, we've got to get out of here now before anyone else gets hurt!" I announce. I turn, in shock, to see Noah bum-rushed by a vine-tangled hound. He's sprawled on the floor, in light pain, but the vine dog pounces on him quickly, snarling and biting at his face as he barely keeps it from biting off his face.

"A little help would be appreciated!" Noah exclaims. I turn to the microphone stand nearby, diving for it as I impale the stand through the beast's body. Thin cables tangle against the hound, electricity circling and shocking it until it's no more. 

"C'mon, let's go!" I help Noah to his feet as we all head to the exit, that leads to the hallways. Jocelyn flips a table to barricade us, but is soon overwhelmed by a mob of monsters. 

"Jocelyn, what are you doing?!" I yell at her, she's trying to hold her form but I can see scratch-marks giving way at the already weak table.

"Shut up and run!" She turns and exclaims at me in fury. I watch, in horror, as the table collapses, vine-tangled hounds pouncing on Jocelyn. Her screams echo through the gymnasium as we all use her depressing death as a distraction for our escape. Another stampede of beasts rush at us, bumping into the nearby lockers in the process. My cloak is ripped to shreds, the blossoming effect now transformed into nothing but a tattered robe. 

"This way!" Lucas opens a classroom door, we all dart inside, and lock the door shut. We all take a moment to catch our breathing, until I hear a low growling in the corner. A lone hound, with his skull completely torn, clumsily stalks around the room. It looks as if it's lost its vision, but I can hear him sniffing the air for any signs of prey.

"Pssst," I peer at Ava, who points at the large sheathed katana, displayed and hanging on the wall above the desk. I smirk at it, nodding my head at Ava, then proceed to quietly flank my way over to the swords. I look over my shoulder at Lucas, who gives me a look in shock. The blind beast stalks towards them, sniffing the atmosphere rapidly, it's jaw absently looms over Lucas's hand. I quickly hop off the ground, snatching the sabre off the mounted wall.

"Hey!" the beast's head sharply turns to me, blindly rushing at me. I put myself in a ready position, waiting for the perfect opportunity to strike. Once the hound is in close proximity, I swiftly dash at him, the blade sharply cutting into its entire skeleton. I don't even bother to look as I sheath the sword, I hear it's body crumple into a heap of bones.

"Woah..." I hear Ava gasp in amazement. They all quickly rush to my side.

"Gotta admit, that was kind of hot," Lucas breathes. I give him a smirk as I rest the blade on my hip. 

"Focus, mi amando, we've gotta get out of here, once the coast is clear," they nod in agreement. Once the sound of clattering outside ceases, I slowly open the classroom door. We all swiftly -- yet silently -- tiptoe out of the school. 

"Stacy!" I hear Mayor Green's voice the second we're out of the building. She's blistering with scrapes and light bruising, but darts to us with immense speed. 

"Mom? Are you okay?" Stacy asks. 

"No time for that, we've got to get everyone to safety! There's a safe-house on the opposite side of the football field, if we run we can get there!" Her mother grasps on her daughter's wrist, but Stacy tries to pull away.

"Mom, wait! I don't have time to explain, but you've got to trust me on this!" Stacy explains, her mom's face twists into a sneer.

"Right, like trusting you went so well last time!"