VII

Picture of Debby Ryan as Stacy

Video of choreography Seven's used during basketball game

Seven

Next morning's sun illuminates from my window as I prepare for school. Grabbing my bag, my attention drifts to my cellphone. I look to see a bunch of text messages, I tap on the most recent one, from Ava.

Ava: Did you hear about the bear attack at school? Everyone's losing their minds about it..

Apparently Ben got attacked by it and broke his arm.

My brows furrow in confusion, a bear attack? On school grounds? 

Seven: How does a bear get on school property without anyone knowing? 

Ava: I dunno, but it sounds a lot like Mr. Red, if you ask me..

I think about the crow incident yesterday with Cody and Jocelyn, and flinch. Something about this did not settle well with me. I head out the house, a sound from the shed catches my awareness. I'm at the shed door when I hear it clearly, a bunch of scurrying inside. I brace myself as the door flies open, a dusty crow angrily harping over me.

I screech in shock as the bird slowly flutters to the work table, its wing dangling awkwardly. 

"Wait, you're the bird that Jocelyn back-handed?" I take a cautious step towards it, its feathers puffing out in suspicion. 

"It's okay, pájarita, I won't hurt you," I give a warm smile as it cocks its head to the side, ruffling its feathers. It hops into my palm, nestling in my hand.

"Hilda, seems like we got a new friend!" I bellow over to the enthusiastic hound. She barks in response. I see a nest of sticks on the top of the cabinet and carefully rest the crow on it. She  chirped in comfort.

"Hmm, I should give her a name, what d'ya think, Hilda?" I collaborate on a few pet names before settling on, Morrighan.

I look around to see an unfamiliar brown letter resting on the tabletop. Intrigued, I pick up the letter and scan over it. Did Morrighan bring it with her?

I read over the crumpled letter, the signature is from a Mr. Goddard E. Fillius, dated on September, 29, 1871. The letter itself only spiraled me into confusion, so I simply pin the letter on the backboard. I feed Hilda and Morrighan and head off to school.

...

School breezes by as the students are riled up with the upcoming basketball game. I step outside to catch Stacy with the rest of the cheer squad.

"Qué onda, Stacy!" She smiles at me in excitement. 

"Hey, Seven! Ready to watch Westchester take down Anderton High?" I roll my eyes, smirking.

"As if, you know sports bore me. I'd only be cheering Andy, to be honest," She laughs as she shake her pom poms. Its silent between us, besides the chatter of the cheer squad.

"I wanted to talk to you, about the bear attack everyone's talking about," Her brows knit together.

"You don't think its...Redfield, right? I mean, two animal attacks in less than 24 hours is no coincidence," My eyes widen. I heard about one attack but, two?!