IV

Picture of James Manslow as Dan

Seven

The woods seemed to be closing in on us as we ventured through the thick terrain. It was pitch black, though the flashlight I bought for Noah illuminated our path, which made me feel at ease. 

"Do we even know where we're going?!" Ava groaned. "It feels as if we're moving in circles.." 

"Ava, relajarse," I reassure her, though something deep within me feels Dan's presence close by. 

I hear shifting within the bushes, Noah shines the flashlight towards the distance. 

"Please let it be a squirrel..." I silently prayed. I heard growling as my body tensed.

"It...sounds like a dog," Andy says. A dark shadow of moss and wood pounces out the bush, burning amber eyes looming over us. 

Its body was constructed of wood, yellow drool lapped around its jaw as it approached us.

"That's no dog!" Ava shrieks. 

"What do we do?" Noah turns to me, clearly frightened.

"Run!" I yell as we turn around and race out the woods.

The hound was on our heels, growling and snapping its infectious mouth at us. I count more than one set of paw steps following us as I realize a pair of those beasts are chasing us.

We come to a halt as one rushes in front of us, the three around us closing in. I take in my surroundings, two to our behinds, one in front, I quickly dive through the hedge on our right. 

We come to a large opening, the moonlight shining above us as I notice a body faced upwards with mud covering its face. One of the wood dogs sniff on the body. 

"Hey!" I grab its attention.

My grip on Garra tightens, as I glance at my friends. Andy cracks his knuckles, giving a wicked smirk as Noah flips his flashlight to its blunt heavy side. Ava bends to grab a long knife from out of her black boots, I deadpan at her.

"School grounds don't technically allow weapons, but are you really surprised?" I shake my head, focusing on the enemies that pour into the area.

"Hmph, bailemos," 

I whip Garra to the mutt closest to me and swing as hard as I could. Its body shatters on impact, wooden skeleton bones spraying all over.

"Home-run!" I chuckle to myself. Ava and Andy are holding their own, Ava's blade carves and sashays through each and every body she crosses. Andy's throwing punches and kicks to any mutt that comes his way.

I see Noah get knocked off his feet as one charges at him. 

"Little help here," He struggles to keep the mutt from chomping his face off as I hurry to him. I kick the dog off him, into the air, as I give a swing. Its body launches to the tree, the blow shattering him.

I pull Noah to his feet, he brushes himself off as he looks at the corpse.

"Heh, nice one," I give a smirk and nod as we finish off the wave of wood dogs.

After what seems to be an eternity, I rush towards the body. I wipe the mud off his face and a noise of shock leaves my lips. Lying in the dirt was Dan, unconscious as cuts and bruises litter his face, his jaded blue hoodie ripped to shreds.

"Dan? You okay?" the sound of my voice makes his eyes flutter, as he looks up at me.

"S-Seven?" He coughs violently as I call to the others.

"It's okay, we're gonna get you outta-" He grabs onto my shirt, looking fearful.

"W-Why did you come?! Don't you understand what this means now!" He's shaking now under me, I try calming him down but to no avail.

"Dan, you're not making any sense, we came rescuing you," I explain to him, but he rapidly shakes his head.

"No, you shouldn't of came. Now, he can leave.." His breath leaves him as he slumps.

"Dan? Dan!" I try shaking him awake, but he doesn't wake up. I hear more gurgling and growls in the vicinity. Andy picks him up, carrying him on his back as we turn tail and make a dash out of the woods.

...

Ava

Yet another soul-sucking day at Westchester High awaits for me today. After we found Dan in the woods last night, we called the police, he was brought to the hospital by the paramedics. We haven't heard anything after that, so we just went home.

I approach my locker to see Jocelyn already waiting there, grinning like a hyena.

"Ooh, look, its Ava the Witch," I roll my eyes.

"Please, stop, the more you use that nickname the more my feelings hurt," sarcasm droops from my voice.

"Duh, its supposed to hurt, that's why I use it," I smirk, this girl's ignorance is entertaining after all.

"Jeez, just when I figured you out, you manage to bedazzle me with your cunning wits," I give her a light slap on her cheek. She gives me an angry look as I turn the combination lock.

"Can I help you or are you gonna sit there being dumb," I say.

"Just wanted to check up on ya, heard you visited Dan in the hospital," I give her a look.

"That is a true fact, yes," her face twists into a smirk.

"So you're, like, obsessed with him now?" My face drops as she once again, irritated the living hell out of me.

"Yes, I'm so obsessed with Daniel Pierce, I want to pin him and drink the blood until he remains no more," I roll my eyes, her distracting banter causes me to lose focus on the combination lock. I groan as I repeat my steps.

"You wanna know what I think?" She says.

"No," She ignores me.

"I think you'd better stay away from Dan, unlike you he has actual non-gothy friends," she gives a fake smile. I snatch the locker door open, quickly gathering my books and shove past her.

"Goodbye, Jocelyn," 

I feel a sharp tug on my shoulder as she slams me against the nearby lockers. I wince in pain and glare at her.

"The hell's your problem?!" I yell at her. She jabs a finger on my chest painfully.

"You're my problem, your little attitude problem is pissing me off and I'm sick of it!" I step up to her, but mentally flinch as I realize she's a bit taller than me. She looms over me, daring me to do something rash.

"Move," I say, dangerously low in that but of a whisper. 

"Excuse me?! I didn't quite hear you," she shoves me again. I clench my eyelids tightly, feeling a darkness in my spirit.

"I'm warning you..." Anger slowly fills me as she shoves me once more. 

"Do something, I dare you," My eyelids fly open in rage.

"I said move, bitch!" The locker door near me swings open, smacking her right on her face. She falls on her ass, whining as she feels on her now bleeding nose.

I back up slowly, realization hitting me like a truck as I stalk to the auditorium. I look at my hands, and a smirk creeps on my face.

"Awesome," I say to myself.