Confrontations

....

'Something was born in his eyes that day.'

....

Hadrian relaxed into the chair, pushing back against the soft green velvet. It was the only colourful piece of furniture in the room, it contrasted boastfully against the brown leather and the rough stone. Nevertheless, the lively fabric brought personality and an element of boldness to the room. Hadrian clasped his hands together expectantly as he watched and waited for the group to fill the room. The dark parts of his eyes tracked each individual, watching as they considered where they would sit - the decision said a lot about the person.

Of course, it was Alice Longbottom who had dared to sit closest to him, he wasn't surprised at that. James and Lily took a seat beside each other and Hadrian had to hold back from smirking. Lily's hand was clasped tightly between James's and Hadrian rolled his eyes at the pathetic display of marital support. Glancing up, Hadrian's gaze locked on to Sirius and despite being unsurprised that his godfather's brown eyes narrowed suspiciously, it still made his body tense in frustration.

Fuck off.

"I thought you said you were leaving?" James asked intently, his eyes wondering towards the door.

Hadrian looked up at his father, hating the way everyone in the room turned to look in his direction. Hadrian was used to attention, there wasn't a day that went by at Hogwarts where he wasn't stared at - whispers followed him. But, just because he was used to it, didn't mean he liked it - in fact he hated it.

Hadrian knew what his father was thinking, in fact the whole room probably thought the same thing. Was his friend a Slytherin? Did he come from a dark family? Hadrian felt like sneering at the light's pathetic premise of goodness and purity - their unachievable plight for world peace.

"Any minute," Hadrian spoke low and hard.

Alice Longbottom almost flinched at the hardness of Hadrian's voice, the utterance having the effect of a merciless slap which stung the cheek, reddening the skin. The deep echo of his voice left the room frozen for a moment. Hadrian sat back arrogantly, leaning against the armchair, happy with its effect. His deep green eyes connected with the soft gaze of Alice Longbottom and for a moment he felt like he was drowning. Concern filled her kind eyes and in that second he regarded her as if she were his mother.

Alice Longbottom looked worried, her gentle features traced with tension as she gazed at the cold hard form that was Hadrian Potter. Alice swallowed tightly, emotions filling her chest, claiming her heart. Hadrian was supposed to be a boy - carefree, happy and adored. But there was no boy in front of her, instead sat a man.

The man was strong and beautiful, sure. However, as she looked at him, truly looked, she saw his demons. She saw how he was ensnared by terror, submerged by hatred and blinded by childhood pain. Alice blinked away a tear, she needed to look out for him - she needed to do whatever she could to save him.. well, if it wasn't too late.

"It's that Malfoy bastard, isn't it?" Fred or George asked breaking the silence.

One of the Weasley twins eyed him in distaste, however, cautious on still veiled their thoughts - they weren't that stupid. Hadrian could never tell who was who and didn't particularly care either. He clenched his fist in order to remain calm, the biting pain causing his heart rate to remain steady.

Hadrian laughed insolently, it wasn't because he found the comment funny, he was actually outraged at the Weasley's nerve. Draco was Hadrian's best friend, everyone knew that. The Weasley's knew that, yet they still insulted him to his face. They wouldn't have dared at Hogwarts, perhaps they needed reminding. Hadrian considered the fact that if he hadn't laughed, he would have most likely hexed him. Good that he hadn't, now was not the time nor place.