Cobra's Strike

...

'He raised his hand and she flinched.'

...

"Fucking hell."

Alec shifted in his seat at the bar... since the old man had left, Hadrian and Alec had drunk in silence. Alec looked over at Hadrian, the green eyed wizard was playing with his drink, swirling the contents, his eyes distant. The drinks weren't as bad as Alec had suspected, but when he had asked for an old fashioned, Rose the barmaid had flipped him off. Alec had raised his hands in air, as if to surrender, she hadn't found that funny either.

"You get what you wanted?" Alec asked Hadrian, breaking the silence.

Hadrian blinked out of his thoughts, lowering his glass to the table. Hadrian had learnt a lot tonight, the meeting had gone better than planned. The movies gave covert meetings a bad name, they had successfully completed theirs and they hadn't even been followed.

"Yeah, I did." Hadrian nodded, his eyes sparkling with curiosity.

Hadrian's dark gaze swept over Alec's smooth, severe appearance - everything seemed normal. But that was just it, is wasn't, it was all a trick. Anyone else would think Alec looked like his usual callous self, but Hadrian saw it. Hidden behind those dark black eyes, a blizzard howled. Hadrian hadn't forgotten about what happened earlier, the narcotic was still working its way through Alec's bloodstream, igniting the cells.

"You're still high." Hadrian stated, it wasn't a question.

Alec watched as the something akin to treachery passed through Hadrian's eyes. He had muted his earlier anger, dampening it down until it could no longer be seen. The meeting had been important, too important to disturb. Now, however, now was different. Hadrian should have been red with suppressed rage, he wasn't, of course not. He had gotten too good at hidden his feelings, he was a master at it.

"Yeah." Alec didn't deny a thing.

Hadrian lifted his glass and drained it. Alec watched as heated currents of unrefined anger filled Hadrian's corrupt gaze. It wouldn't be long before he exploded, it was only a matter of minutes. Hadrian was sat casually on the bar stall, his body neither slouched nor particularly tense.

"Fuck." Hadrian muttered to himself, gritting his teeth.

Rose watched Hadrian from her position by the edge of the bar. Hadrian jaw was clamped shut, while his eyes glinted with a kind of fury only close friends could provoke. This dark gaze slid over to Alec, the silent boy. There was a significant amount of tension between them, Rose watched carefully as their eyes battled each other.

"Rose.." Hadrian called out, not even looking her way.

Rose stiffened at his tone, her stomach tightening in both fear and pleasure. The short hairs of her arms raised in warning, subconsciously aware of the power that resonated within that cool hard voice. Rose swallowed down her terror, dropping the rag and moving over to where Hadrian and Alec sat.

She glanced at Alec, looking for some sort of support - she felt too weak to face Hadrian alone. Alec regarded her impassively and Rose couldn't see anything in those dark eyes to suggest he felt a thing towards her - not even human compassion. A painful strike of reality hit at her heart - when it came down to it, he wouldn't help her.