Thirteen

I saw Cole's eyes change from honey to black, jet black. He didn't even bat an eye to being hit. I think I'm more upset than he is.

He gave me a look, that locked me into place. Cole turned to face David, he kinda seemed like he grew a few inches. An odd smile resting on Cole's face.

David looked like he couldn't decide if he should finish what he started or run away screaming.

I hope they don't notice your eyes. This mind meld thing really comes in handy.
Cole abruptly stopped walking.

I heard a snap.

Everything and everyone around me froze, all sounds stopped.

I spotted a bird stuck in mid-flight leaving a tree by David's truck.

I hope it poops on his truck.

"Done." I turn my attention back to Cole, who is now staring at me.

"What? Why did you....pause everything?" Those questions were mumbled by me. Confusion was laced all throughout my tone. I couldn't figure out why Cole looked like it was Christmas morning. His eyes were bright and wide with excitement. He was bouncing from one foot to another.

He did just get punched in the face. I wouldn't be jumping around all giddy.

"What, that little limp wristed smack?" He scoffed and dismissed it with a wave of his hand.

"Then why freeze time? Why not just laugh in his face?" I was angry and bitter, rightfully so, if you ask me.

Cole's face looked like it may break in half, he was smiling so big.

"I'm just so proud." He looked like he may hug me, I inched a bit back.   "First, you make a Star Trek reference, then you tell me to hit your ex." I didn't move far enough away.

He crossed the distance between us, to engulf me in a bone-crushing hug. I swear I heard and felt my ribs touch. Reminding me once again, he's

"You've come a long way, Grasshopper." He patted my head and stepped back.

I couldn't stop the bubbles of laughter that rose and escaped out of me. I just couldn't wrap my mind around.

"You're. A giant. Fucking nerd." I somehow got out between laughs.

"If you tell anyone, I'll make you regret it." He stated, completely deadpan.

That sobered me up, just a little.

He booped my nose, laughing at my dumbfounded face.

A finger snap later, time unfroze. The others yelling and wild antics antic resumed.

Catching me unprepared and causing me to jump. I had momentarily forgotten about them.

Miss Conner was yelling too, trying to gain order over their side. They were too busy hooting and hollering.

Ashley was practically glued to David making me sigh and roll my eyes in response. She was so desperate.

"You kicked his ass baby I'll make sure you have a great night" I could her purring as she spoke from her.

I couldn't stop myself from gagging. Repeatedly.  I had to double over, and take small breaths, so I wouldn't lose my cookies.

Someone was laughing. It cut through all the noise and chaos. One by one, the chorus the teens silenced.

I took the chance and straighten myself up until my stomach clenched in response.

Willing myself not to throw up, I tried to locate the source of the laughter.