Seventeen

I woke up my plate was gone papers are on my nightstand. A blanket wrapped around me. There was a present sitting on my nightstand too. Black and white striped paper, a white silk bow on top. A card leaned up against it "Our Daughter" scripted across it in my mom's handwriting.

I sat up and grabbed both, setting them in front of me. Grabbing the card envelope, I opened it easy, didn't want a paper cut. Once I got the card out I take a moment to admire it. It had several flowers, I didn't know what type they were, they were mainly in the corners, the background kinda matched the wrapping paper. "Happy 18th Birthday to my beautiful daughter." I knew my mom picked this card.

"Oh, how did we get to your 18th birthday already? I feel like it was just yesterday I was bringing you home, or taking you to kindergarten for the first time, teaching you to ride a bike and read a book. Now I'm teaching you how to drive, change a flat tire, how to save money, and not to mention apply for a job. You will always be my little girl, but now you are also my beautiful young lady. -Dad"

I felt tears fight to spill over. My dad may be corny but he really knew how to play the emotional card.

Wiping my eyes, glad I opened this in here. I carefully undid the ribbon, knowing I was going to keep it. I tore a small corner off of the paper and, stuck it inside the card along with the ribbon.

The rest of the paper came off with one rip, revealing a plain brown box. It opened easily enough. Inside was three things, and a note. The note was on a little purple index card. "You'll need these for college life." A little worried at what my father would think I needed bad enough for him to give it to me on my birthday.

I reached in blindly and pulled a small canister of mace. Nodding, I sat it down. Once again, I reached into the box, this time I pulled out a medium size picture frame. Looking at the picture inside, I saw that it was the first photo of my mom, dad and me when I came home. Yet again, my dad knew how to sneak punch you in the feelings.

I had to take a second to stare at the picture and appreciate my dad's sentiment. Collecting my emotions, I pressed on and grabbed the last item. It was a DVD set of a couple seasons of one of my many fandoms. It had multiple seasons in it.

I jumped up and ran out, didn't even pause to take my time on the stairs. I found my dad in his "office" it was really the storage room, but he hides in here and used the desk when mom was on a warpath.

This isn't a good sign on your birthday.

He had the door open so that was promising, right? I knocked as I stood in the doorway.

When he looked up, a smile spread over his face. Pride was clear to see, he motioned for me to come in. I moved in about two steps, there wasn't much room.

"I wanted to say thank you for all the wonderful gifts Dad. I'd hug you if I could get to you." I joked.

"It's alright, I wanted to warn you. Your mother is very emotional and something went wrong with one of your aunts. Currently, mom's in the kitchen losing her mind, I believe." My dad's face loses some of the happiness it had moments ago. "I tried to help her but that is not a good idea. I'd recommend you don't try that." He was completely serious.

"Well, thanks again. I'm going to hide in my room for as long as I can." I said as I backed up to the door. He nodded at me "that's my girl." His voice full of approval.

I quietly made my way through the house. Did even bother looking in the kitchen, also quite thankful I didn't go in there earlier, unknowingly. I should come up with a good excuse to not help.