Chapter 3

Friday

It was raining today, the heavy raindrops making a rhythmic sound as they fell to the ground.

Virgil found himself paying more attention to the window rather than Mr. Stone speaking in the front of the room. He was zoned out, a tiny smile on his face.

Logan Stone noticed Virgil. At first, he was going to reprimand him for not paying attention, but then he noticed how peaceful he looked.

During his chats with Patton at the coffee shop, he learned that Virgil had severe anxiety. In school, he was almost always on-edge, Patton had explained. But this teenager smiling at the rain looked relaxed, free from his thoughts for a while.

Logan continued to teach, until the bell rang at the end of the day, snapping Virgil out of his peaceful state.

"Don't forget your homework! Due Monday!" Logan called to the students as they left. However, he knew they probably didn't hear him, nor cared. He sighed, going to Virgil in the back of the room.

Virgil jumped slightly, not expecting the teacher.

"Apologies."

"It's okay," Virgil replied, relaxing a bit. He glanced out the window, then cursed under his breath. "And now I have to walk home . . ."

Logan looked at the window, where the rain continued to pour. He looked back at Virgil, chewing his lip. Hesitating, he offered, "I could perhaps drive you home?"

Virgil looked up at him in surprise. "I don't know . . ."

"This may seem strange, but I've talked to your father many times at the coffee shop he works at. Patton explained how you get sick easily . . ." Logan said.

The teenager stood, gathering up his things with a sigh. "How about you take me to the coffee shop?"

Logan nodded, going to the front of the room and grabbing his own things. He grabbed his keys, and Virgil followed him outside to the car.

Virgil was all hesitation, but he slowly opened the car door and got in, closing it behind him.

The two of them buckled up, and Logan started the car, pulling out of the parking lot.

Virgil slowly let himself relax in the seat, looking out the window. He heard music play softly, and he was a bit surprised by the artist.

"I wouldn't have taken you for a fan of Logic," Virgil commented quietly.

The teacher glanced at him. "I happen to enjoy many kinds of music. Including the rap genre. I have many CDs in that case if you don't believe me." He gestured to a black case on the floor.

At this, Virgil let out a little snort. "You still use CDs?"

Logan smiled slightly, tapping his fingers on the steering wheel to the beat of the song. "Why yes, I do."

Virgil rolled his eyes. He picked up the CD case, flipping through. Everything was arranged in alphabetical order, of course. His eyes caught the logo of his favorite band and he pulled an Evanescence CD out. "Can I put this in?"

"Of course," Logan replied.

Virgil switched the CDs, putting the Logic one away. He turned the volume up, and for the rest of the car ride, Amy Lee's vocals and electric guitar filled the car.

*

Minutes later, Logan opened the door for Virgil. The teenager stepped inside, greeted with the familiar smell of coffee and an overall sweetness he couldn't describe.

Patton looked up at the door. He had been expecting Logan, but he was surprised to see his son as well. "Virge!"

Virgil stumbled back a bit as Patton hugged him tightly. He slowly hugged him back.

Patton pulled back, grinning. "Logan, did you bring him here?"

The teacher nodded, and Patton said, "Thank you, Lo!"

Logan's face dusted pink at the nickname and he adjusted his glasses. "It's no problem."

Virgil looked between the two of them, smirking. "Well, I'm just going to go do my homework . . . Over here . . ." He kept his smirk, taking a seat at a table against the wall, far from them.

Patton rolled his eyes at Virgil. "The usual?" he asked Logan, referring to Logan's favorite coffee.

The teacher nodded, sitting at a table near the counter, as he usually did. He got out the papers he needed to grade, along with a red pen.

By now, this was all routine. Patton brought Logan his coffee, sitting across from him. The shop wasn't busy, so he had time to help look over the papers with Logan.

From his isolated spot at the wall, Virgil looked between Logan and Patton. He noticed how happy his dad looked, and how Logan's face was lit up as he talked to Patton.

Virgil hadn't seen his father this happy in a while. It seemed Logan Stone was good for him. This thought and the scene in front of him made him smile slightly, and he returned back to his homework.

*
Chapter 3!! And I'm currently listening to Nightmare Revisited. I think Virgil is proud right now.