Chapter 6

Saturday

"Would you like to attend . . . No . . ."

"Would you do me the honor of . . . No, that sounds like a marriage proposal."

"Would you like to go out on a date with me?"

Logan looked at himself in the mirror, smiling slightly as he combed his hair. "There, that sounds good. Simple, classic." He sat his comb down, checking his appearance and adjusting his tie before leaving his bedroom.

It had only been a month since he had met the barista, Patton, but already, he seemed to be smitten. At first, he tried to ignore these feelings, to push them away. But his first love was in the past, and right now, Patton was his present. And, if everything goes well, his future.

"Woah, Dad, you look nice. What's the occasion?"

Logan looked up. Standing in the doorway of the kitchen was Remy, actually out of bed at 11 A.M., which was rare.

"I could ask you the same. Why are you up, Rem?"

Remy rolled his eyes, then said, "I couldn't sleep."

Logan made a fake, dramatic gasp. "Remy Sanders—my very son!—cannot sleep. What is the world coming to?!"

Remy rolled his eyes yet again. "Very funny, father. If the whole teaching thing doesn't work out, you should be a comedian."

Logan smiled slightly at this.

Most of their talks were like this, full of sarcasm and overdramatics. And Logan surely liked this better than yelling and arguing.

"And for your information, I plan on asking someone on a date today, and I wanted to look nice when I do it," Logan said, finally answering Remy's question.

Remy raised a eyebrow, "This dude must be special. You haven't been on a date since . . . Huh, I don't remember."

"It definitely has been a while . . ." Logan said quietly. "But I really like this man, and he's very sweet, and very kind."

Remy listened, then put his hand on Logan's shoulder, "You can do this." His hand fell, and Remy went into the kitchen as if nothing happened.

Logan stood still for a few moments, then finally remembered how to move again. He picked up his car keys and went out the door.

*

"Virge! You coming to the shop with me?!" Patton asked, yelling upstairs to his son.

Virgil couldn't hear him, for he was wearing his headphones, blasting some of the loudest music he owned.

Patton sighed before trudging up the stairs, knocking on Virgil's door loudly, "Virgil!!"

The teenager heard his father now. He paused his music and slid his headphones off before going to the door and opening it.

"What?"

"Do you want to come down to the coffee shop with me, kiddo" Patton repeated.

Virgil looked up and saw the look in Patton's eyes. A look that showed how much he wanted him to come with him, how much he wanted to spend time with the son he rarely gets to see.

"Okay . . ."

As Patton did a little cheer, Virgil grabbed his headphones and phone before closing his door behind him. "Okay, let's go."

Patton nodded and went downstairs, grabbing his keys and nearly running to his car.

Virgil smiled slightly, following Patton to the vehicle. It was . . . nice to see his father so happy over something simple. Before he had to work longer shifts, Patton was always like this, bubbly and energetic like a little child. But the long hours took a toll on him, and the old Patton only shines through at times, and then it goes away until next time. And at times likes this, it was no wonder Patton called himself the moon.

*

A few minutes later, Virgil was seated at a table in the corner of the coffee shop, reading a beat-up copy of a book. He had acquired it from a thrift-shop about a year ago, and now read it over and over without getting bored.

"Is this seat taken?" A voice above him asked.

Virgil looked up, and he tried not to let his jaw drop. The boy was about the same age as him, and very handsome, like a Disney Prince had come to life. He was wearing a plain white t-shirt with a dark red jacket and blue jeans. His tall black boots looked shiny and new.

"N-no," Virgil managed out, mentally hitting himself.

The boy smiled and nodded. He sat down across from Virgil and held out a hand. "I'm Roman Hamilton."

Virgil's eyes widened. "Hamilton? Do you, uh, like Hamilton?" He asked awkwardly. At least he managed to keep his stutter in now.

Roman smiled, "That is a popular question. Yes, I do like Hamilton. As well as other musicals. I'm really into theater, actually, so that works out." He laughed slightly.

Virgil listened and nodded, biting his lip to keep in a smile. A realization came over him, and he shook Roman's still-waiting hand rather quickly. "I'm Virgil Sanders."

Roman laughed slightly and nodded, "It's a pleasure to meet you."

They dropped hands, and at this point, Virgil's face was bright red. He looked down, "Why did you want to sit with me? There's tons of empty seats here . . ."

"You looked lonely," Roman said. "And I happen to love that book you're reading." He pointed to the paperback sitting in front of Virgil, bearing the title, 'Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda.'

Virgil's face went even darker, and he nodded only slightly, "Yeah, it's really good. I've read it about eight times now."

Roman nodded as well, "I find the book very relatable."

"M-me t-too . . ."

Across the room, Patton was leaning against the counter, hand resting under his chin to hold his head up. He had been watching Roman and Virgil, as creepy as it sounds, it was all with innocence. He very was excited for his son to finally talk to someone.

There was a ring of a bell as the shop door opened, and Logan Stone stepped inside. He was holding a small vase, which was filled with bright blue Forget-Me-Nots, which Patton had informed Logan was his favorite flower.

Logan approached the counter, extremely nervous.

Patton looked up, and his face instantly lit up at the sight of Logan. "Hey, Lo! You look nice!"

Logan's face heated up, "Why thank you." He took a deep breath. "Patton, may I ask you a question?"

*

Cliffhanger! I had a bit of a writing block with this chapter, so apologies for the longer wait.