Chapter 16

Some of this will sound familiar...but please read ALL of it. The story is not over yet.

Monday
TW: Some mentions of death, brief mention of suicidal thoughts

It was a beautiful day.

The sun was shining brightly, casting everything in a warm glow. Birds chirped and everywhere you looked, flowers were in full bloom, a sign that it was halfway through spring.

Ah yes, it was a nice day for Patton to visit his son.

The thirty-something father took his time as he walked down the sidewalk, waving slightly to passerby as he moved. In his hand, he held a plastic shopping bag.

Patton arrived at his destination: A black, wrought iron gate, the doors wide open to reveal a path going through a large, park-like area.

He walked through the threshold silently, following the paved path like Dorothy followed the Yellow Brick Road.

After a few minutes, he walked down a hill towards a large lake.

He was a few feet away from the water's edge when he finally stopped. His eyes trail down to an object set into the ground.

A shiny, black marble headstone.

Patton sat down on the upturned dirt in front of it, not minding that his tan pants would have stains on them later. This was his fourth visit, and like his prior ones, he always read the headstone. It said:

Virgil Sanders
December 19th, 2001—January 4th, 2018
Loving son and friend
Forever in our hearts

Patton sighed, and sat the bag he brought in front of himself, opening it and taking out the contents.

"Hi, Virge. It's Dad," the young father started. "I love you and miss you."

His visits always started with these lines, ever since the first time he came here.

"So, Logan and I got married two weeks ago," Patton said, glancing down at the silver wedding ring on his finger. He took an arrangement of white lilies, tied with a purple bow, out of the bag, along with a plastic vase with a long stick to put in the ground. He busied himself with putting the pointed stick in the ground as he continued to talk.

"The whole wedding was so beautiful, Virge! Oh, and I'm sorry, Logan really wanted to come, but he had to attend a meeting for work. He wanted me to tell you that he loves you as well." Once—

•••

Patton woke up with a start and a loud scream, causing him to wince in pain.

"It was just a bad dream..." Patton mumbled afterwards, the reassuring phrase calming him only slightly.

However, what little calm had come over was quickly taken away once more when his bedroom door swung open, Logan standing there and looking around wildly. He was wielding a Hello Kitty baseball bat as if it was a sword.

"L-Logan!?" Patton sputtered, holding a hand over his chest in surprise.

"Patton? There's no one else in here?" Logan inquired, slowly lowering his absurdly bright pink bat.

Patton nodded, his hand slowly falling from his chest. "Yes, I'm alone. I just had a bad dream, hence the scream, sorry..."

"Ohhh..." Logan carefully sat his bat down by the door, and walked over to Patton, sitting on the edge of the bed.