Chapter 18

Thursday
TW: Injuries and scars

Many days after he was hit by De, Virgil woke up in the hospital, scared, confused, and left with stitches and so much pain it brought a few tears to his eyes.

Out of the corner of his eye, Virgil noticed something almost shimmery by the door. Upon slowly turning his head with some difficulty, he noticed that it was like two glowing blobs, in the shape of humans, one taller than the other.

The figures slowly moved towards him, and he was left with no choice but to just watch, shaking in fear.

"Please don't be scared, Vee," A soft, female voice said, and the figures suddenly shifted into two people, ones Virgil only remembered seeing in pictures very recently, for he had been too young to remember them when they were alive.

August and Nina Sanders looked down at their son, looking rather young and small in the large hospital bed.

They looked so real, he noticed. It was as if he could reach out and touch them. But surely they couldn't be real, right? His mind had to be playing tricks on him. They were gone. Unless...

"Am I dead?"

The question seemed to echo around the empty hospital room, and their silence caused him to hold his breath in anticipation.

"Not yet," Nina hesitantly answered. "You need to try to hold on, my love."

August nodded. He hadn't spoken yet, letting Nina do most of the talking.

"O-Okay...what is this then? Am I actually dreaming, or hallucinating, or—?"

Nina walked over and rested a hand on his arm, comfortingly. Her touch was cold, as if she'd been outside in the snow, and it caused him to shiver slightly and immediately stop rambling. He looked up at her, then gasped quietly when he realized that it was like looking in a mirror, in a way, as they had the same, warm brown eyes. "You're awake, love. This isn't real, yes, but please don't be scared. You're safe..." She gave him a warm smile, then sat on the edge of the bed. Virgil noticed that her body made no indent as she did so.

Hesitantly, August walked over and sat on the other side of Virgil. Where Virgil had Nina's soft, kind eyes, hair, and her small build, he had August's face shape, as well as the same light sprinkle of freckles not only on his face, but all over his body.

"Virgil..." August finally spoke. He reached out and gently touched Virgil's leg, noticing a few scars that were now on full display thanks to the hospital gown he wore riding up. Virgil bit his lip and tugged the gown down to cover them. It was his big secret, something he never wanted to show Patton or have him know about.

Quietly, Virgil looked between the two in front of him, both of them giving him concerned yet kind looks. He found them comforting, and he felt his body relax a bit. However, he quickly tensed up when August and Nina started to flicker.

"No! Don't go!" Virgil cried out, reaching for them, though his hand went right through them.

"I'm sorry, but we have to go, my love," Nina said, softly. She gave him a small smile, trying to calm him in what way she could.

August nodded. "But please don't forget us..."

"We love you, Virgil."