Chapter 11

Wednesday

TW: Mentions of wreck and injuries

Patton's eyes slowly opened as he awoke fully for the first time since he'd been admitted in the hospital. He was laying in a hospital bed, sunlight streaming through the windows—

Wait, what?

Patton was incredibly confused. The last thing he remembered was driving back home quickly at nighttime when suddenly, his car slammed into something. He couldn't recall else, let alone anything after that.

Slowly, he attempted to sit up. He was greeted with immense pain. Tubes and wires coiled in and around his body like snakes, and the mere thought of this resemblance caused him to panic, accidentally hitting the call button for the nurse in the process.

Minutes later, a nurse with long, dark brown hair, separated into braided pigtails, appeared. "Oh, you're awake. What can I do for you, Mr. Sanders?"

"Out!! I want out!!"

"Shh, sir. I'm afraid we can't let you out yet. We have to fix you up first, okay?" The nurse slowly walked towards him, speaking in a soft tone, clearly talking down to him. Up close, Patton could read her name tag.

"Lina, please!!" He begged, looking up at her with wide eyes. "M-My son has severe anxiety! I need to see him to let him know it's alright!!"

Lina froze for a moment before regaining her composure. She looked around the room first, then knelt beside Patton, speaking softly. "I'll tell you what...if you tell me what your son looks like, I'll sneak him back here..."

Patton's whole face seemed to light up, and he nodded, describing his son's appearance to Lina. Moments later, she was walking towards the waiting room in search of Virgil.

Sighing, Patton tilted his head back as far as he could manage. The last time he'd been in a wreck, he had been barely hurt. Now, every movement brought him immense pain, and he was too terrified to ask what was truly wrong with him, though he could take a few guesses.

The door slowly opened, creaking a bit as it did so, causing Patton to look over.

Lina step away from the door to allow Virgil and Roman to come inside the room. Upon seeing his father, Virgil gasped, hands going to his mouth in shock.

Roman placed his hands on the teen's shoulders, rubbing them comfortingly.

Hesitantly, Virgil walked towards Patton, lowering his hands as he did so. Roman dropped his hands, stepping back to give them their space. Patton didn't even seem to notice nor care about Roman's presence.

"Virge! Are you okay?!" Patton asked quickly, eyes scanning his son's face.

"Only you would ask if I'm okay while you're laying in a hospital bed," Virgil replied, chewing his lip as he looked Patton up and down worriedly.

"Kiddo, I'm fine. Just a little beat up," Patton insisted, catching Virgil's eyes wandering.

"But, Dad..." Virgil said softly, eyes locking on the jagged, recent cuts marking his father's arms. The marks were the result of his windshield shattering upon impact, the sharp glass making contact with his skin. Judging by how deep the wounds were, it was obvious Patton would have scars after the wounds healed.