8 - Shocked Is An Understatement

Runnin' - Naughty Boy feat. Beyonce and Arrow Benjamin

8 - Shocked Is An Understatement

Word count: 1727

  "I'm ready to face it all, If I lose myself, I lose it all."

- Runnin' (song above)

***   

Blink. Blink. Blink.

That's the reaction I received after introducing myself. I had to try really hard to restrain myself from laughing at their faces. They were so comical.

Priceless!

I quickly glanced behind stage at Casey who smirked at me and gave me a wink. She is probably desperate to take an image of this moment. Admittedly, I am too.

"I just want to say I am thrilled to be here learning. I hope you all feel the same!" I say, lying. Although, nobody can tell. I have practiced so hard in lying that no one can tell anymore. Swallowing at their still shocked faces, I pass the microphone back to Mr. Fisher.

He politely takes it and clears his throat. That knocks some of them back into reality, though some are still far away.

"Thank you, Whitney. Now we have to set down some rules for Whitney's privacy. One is that you must not ask her for autographs or photos. She is here to study like you, not to sign autographs.

"Secondly, do not ask her any questions about upcoming things. She is forbidden from releasing any new information on her upcoming events.

"Finally, Whitney will have one bodyguard who will be following her around. He will not be inside the classroom but he will be outside. So do not be alarmed. This is also for her safety. Is that clear?"

Nobody replies. You can practically hear a pin drop in this deafening silence.

"I said, am I clear?" Mr. Fisher repeats, louder.

"Yes," they all reply in sync. He smiles and then leads me off of the stage. As soon as I'm behind stage, I release a breath I didn't realize I was holding. On stage, I look confident and ready for anything but now I'm off stage, all of the nerves hit me like walking into a brick wall.

Only close people get to see me in this state. Casey rushes over to me and gives me a small hug. She already knows what I'm feeling, she's seen me at my lowest state.

"You did amazing. Honestly, I was giggling back here the whole time at their faces." She murmurs into my ear and I bark out a laugh. Casey has a really high pitched giggle that is pure comedy.

"Right, on a more serious note. We have your schedule here. Since you already know where you are going, Alan will ask you for directions. Mr. Fisher informed me that all of the students will go back to first period." Casey tells me and I nod. When she hands me my timetable, my eyes skim it for today.

I nearly groan when I see the word maths. How wonderful. Can you detect the sarcasm?

Casey opens the back door—the one we came through eariler—and gives me a side hug.

"I'll see you at home okay?"

I nod my head and watch her head to the second car. She gives me one last wave and then gets into the car. I mentally sigh, wishing I could be joining her.

Alan and I begin walking to the front doors to the school. I come to a halt at the bottom of the stairs and inhale. Flashbacks of when Callum and I walked into here, laughing. Or when I was being chased by Ares with a hollering Athena behind us.