29 - Be Brave

Best Song Ever - One Direction

29 - Be Brave

Word count: 1310

"There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are the born and the day we discover why." 

***

"Jason, what are you talking about?" Is the first thing I ask him, after his declaration.

Jason sighs and rolls his shoulders, relaxing them. "I'm talking about, it's over. I managed to find a loophole in the contract we signed and told my lawyer about it. I threatened that if he didn't go through with the action, I would quit. So naturally, he went through with it." Jason explains, in a neutral voice. "It's done. We don't have to fake date anymore, the Vogue campaign has been canceled."

Holy shit. That's all I can think. Jason actually did it! I don't even know how to describe my relief right now.

"Oh my god," I whisper. "Oh my god. What did Lulu say?" I ask Casey, anxiously.

"Well," Casey begins, "she wasn't pleased." I snort. When is Lulu pleased? "She wants to see you tomorrow for a meeting."

That can't be good.

"Great," I mutter sarcastically. I just can't wait to see Lulu again. "Jason, can I talk to you?"

Jason peers up at me, regarding me with unsteady eyes. It's like he doesn't know how to look at me. Does he know that I know?

"I'm busy Whitney, maybe some over time." He answers and marches off before I can argue against him. Damn him.

"Whit-" Casey starts but I cut her off with a hand.

"I want to go home," I tell her. She gives me a stiff nod, discreetly eyeing me. She stares at me as if I'm going to break or crumble. I don't know why - it's not like I'm on the verge of tears.

"Let's go then," she says, throwing a smile my way.

***

After stopping off at the hotel for my belongings, we headed home. The journey was quiet and peaceful. Casey didn't bother me with work and I was glad about that. I could think about Jason and his actions earlier.

Why would he cancel the deal?

I didn't see what motive he would have to end it. If anything, it would bring me closer to him - which is something I thought he wanted.

When I arrived home, I quickly went upstairs and lied down on my bed, contemplating everything. What would Lulu be like tomorrow? What would she say? There isn't a sliver of doubt in my mind that she would be cross - beyond cross - about the deal ending.

I skipped tea that night and instead, let my mind drift off to what would happen tomorrow.

***

"This is unacceptable," Lulu snaps, sending me a harsh glare. "This deal was supposed to go through 'till the end. I will talk to Jason's manager and inform him that Jason needs to change his mind at once."

I watch as Lulu gets out her new iPhone and starts clicking on buttons. Just as she's about to dial the phone, I step forward, stopping her.

I don't want this to go through. It's not right. Not right for Jason, Callum, for me.

"Lulu, put the phone down," I demand, feeling a burst of confidence.

For a second, she looked shocked. Shocked that I went completely against her.

"What did you just say?" She nearly screeched, outraged. If it is possible, her icy blue eyes got colder.

"I said put the phone down," I repeated, calmly. Lulu raised an eyebrow at my defiance and for some reason, it egged me on further. For too long, I let her control me. I let her be the puppet master, to bully me into things. But that ends. It ends right now.

"You think you have the right to order me around Whitney? Huh?" She asks, bitterly. Lulu took a step forward, so she was a lot closer to me. Close enough that I could stare directly into her detached eyes. Close enough that I could smell the expensive perfume she showered on herself. I wanted to gag right in front of her at the amount she put on. "You are nothing. I made you a star. I made you Whitney Winters. Without me, you would be nobody."

I didn't say anything. It angered me that she would take credit for my own success. I climbed the ladder with the help of Casey, Lulu was never present.

"You are this close to being fired Whitney," Lulu exclaimed, pinching her lips close together. "This close! And I will do it, mark my words."

I knew she had the power to do it. She could fire me any day but it would cost her a lot of press time and paperwork. Was she really willing to go through all of that?

"Hmm, that's what I thought," Lulu smirked cruelly. "You're all bark and no bite."

I don't know why that sparked something in me but it did. I don't want Lulu controlling me anymore. If it means losing my acting career to be free, it would be worth it.

"Lulu, I'm sorry."

"Good, I'm glad you're sorry. Just remember I'm your boss." She said.

Internally, I smirked. "Oh wait, I think you misunderstood that." I smile, innocently. "I was apologizing now for the future."

Lulu's confident face faltered. Her eyes held confusion and even dread. A part of her knew where I was going with this.

"W--what are you talking about Whitney?" She asks me, her voice wavering slightly. For the first time in a long time, Lulu doesn't have control of a situation. She has always been the controller so this to her must feel foreign.

"I'm really sorry you are going to have to explain everything to the media and you're going to have to cancel all upcoming, future events. Really, I am. But..." I pause, dramatically. I was enjoying this. A lot. "I quit."

And that's when everything exploded. Lulu's eyes widened and she quickly started rambling about how I can't quit. Casey stormed into the room and begged me to reconsider. She knows I love acting but what she doesn't understand is that I don't have to be a famous movie actor. I can't deal with people like Lulu in my life.

I want freedom. I want some normalcy. I want to focus on school. I want to help my friends.

"I'm quitting!" I shout loudly, silencing them both up. "I've already decided it. I, Whitney Winters, also known as Anastasia Claire, resign from this agency officially."

Lulu's face crumbles. She is now facing the repercussions of her actions. She losing one of her top actors.

"But--" she cries.

"Leave Lulu. I'm done." I say, coldly.

Lulu splutters, glancing at Casey, who pretends to be oblivious. Realizing I'm done, Lulu straightens her posture and clears her throat. She throws a frosty glare my way and stomps out of the house. I watch her leave, feeling lighter.

It's weird but I feel as if I can breathe properly again. I don't have to worry about upsetting her anymore.

Now that I'm agentless, I won't be featuring in films or shoots anymore. I will eventually become one of those actors that aren't forgotten but isn't cared about. In time, the media will find someone new to torment.

I feel...better. 

I feel free. 

"Are you okay Whit?" Casey asks me once Lulu has left. Concern is etched on her face. 

I nod my head, "almost. I just have one more thing to do before I'll be okay." I tell her, thinking of Jason. He can't avoid me forever. 

{A/N: I am so sorry it's short. I hope you enjoyed this though. 

What do you think about Whitney quitting? Do you agree with her decision or not? 

Thanks for reading! }