Chapter 2 - Worries

Bucky paces back and forth in his motel suite a bag of frozen peas on his face. His mind was racing with thoughts of how (Name) had changed over the last six years. The sound of the door of his motel room opening pulls his attention toward it to see his childhood friend Steve walking in with a couple bags of fast food. Thankfully Steve had come down here with him to keep him from doing something stupid. However, since Steve had had a business meeting the night before; Bucky had let into his nerves and went to confront his ex-wife.

What he wasn't expecting was her boy toy to punch him in the face for only stating the truth. It got a little foggy after that. All he knew was that he woke up this morning in his bed with a nice shiner. Steve had filled in the blanks, stating that (Name) had checked Bucky's phone and finding out that Steve was there too had him come pick Bucky up. Bucky groans as he sits down at the motel room desk. "How ya feeling pal?" Steve asks sitting the bag of food in front of him.

"I feel like shit." Bucky replies tossing the mostly melted peas bag on the desk next to his food.

"Well you did get knocked out by an ex-Army Ranger. Seriously Buck, what were you thinking?" Steve asks as he sits down on a barstool a few feet away.

"I don't know Steve, I just..." Bucky pauses as he stares at the wedding ring on his ring finger. He takes a deep breath as he uses his free hand to fiddle with the golden band. She might have left him six years ago but he had never taken his ring off, and he wouldn't, just like he wouldn't sign those divorce papers. "I know I fucked up; but shouldn't she at least have told me to my face that she didn't want to stay married to me? Also, she should have told me about our kid."

"I agree, she should have told you; but do you blame her? I mean she finds out she's pregnant the same day she catches you cheating on her with Dot; and to make matters worse, you're still with Dot."

"You're supposed to be my best friend. Can't you just be on my side?" Bucky asks and Steve rolls his eyes.

"I am on your side Buck; but I'm not saying you're completely in the right." Steve adds as he unwraps his burger. "Besides, I think you showing up on her doorstep after all these years and dropping the bomb that you two are still married was stupid."

"She's my wife Steve."

"Technically yes; but in her eyes..." Steve pauses to meet his friend's eyes. "She doesn't love you anymore. She's moved on, maybe you should do the same."

"So, you think I should just walk away? Forget I have a daughter and just leave." Bucky asks anger lacing his voice.

"No, I just think you should let (Name) go. The two of you can sit down and have a nice talk about your kid."

"I tried that last night." Bucky retorts pointing to his black eye. "Didn't work out so well."

"No, you ambushed her." Steve says before taking a bite of his burger.

"I didn't ambush her." Bucky argues but given the look on Steve's face he lets out a sigh and continues, "Okay, maybe I got a little ahead of myself. I just couldn't take seeing her with some other guy. And she looked..."

"Happy?" Steve says finishing Bucky's sentence making Bucky sigh.

"I love her, Steve, I always have. I just... Needed something more." Bucky says making Steve stare at his burger his brow furrowed.

"Then you should've tried for more with her, not Dot."

~~~~~~

"Who the hell does he think he is? Showing up after six years saying we're still married!" You yell out angrily to Thor's older sister Hela who was sitting across the table from you silently sipping her coffee.