Chapter 8 - The Hard Questions

Lily smiles as she sits on the riverbank a fishing pole in her hand. Thor had woken her up earlier than usual so that they could spend the morning together. She casts her reel causing the lure to fly out over the surface until it plops into the middle of the river her little bobber bobbing up and down on the surface as the current tries to take it away. "Good job sweetheart." Thor says as he sits down next to her making her smile brightly.

"I like my little bobber. It's cute." Lily says as the bobber bobs up and down against the current.

"Sweetheart, did your mom happen to mention who was coming by today?" Thor asks his eyes focused on the bobber.

"No, is someone coming today?" Lily asks her eyes focused on her bobber.

"Yeah, um, your birth father." Thor answers making Lily's eyes widen slightly.

"He's coming today?" Lily asks her hands turning sweaty.

"Yeah, your mom wanted to talk to him about some things before he met you." Thor adds resting his arms on his knees. He glances over at Lily to see worry filling her icy blue eyes. "You okay?"

"I don't know." Lily replies reeling in her line so she can set her fishing pole down on the bank beside her. "I'm worried."

"Worried about what sweetheart?" Thor asks reaching back to gently rub her back.

"Are you gonna be okay?" Lily asks meeting her father's eyes.

"Oh sweetheart, I'm okay, why are you worrying about me?" Thor asks his heart clenching for her.

"I'm worried that meeting my real dad might hurt you." Lily replies as she fiddles with her fingers.

"Lily, I know where you're coming from but you meeting and getting to know your dad isn't going to hurt me. I know you love me and I just want you to be happy. Whatever happens, I will always be here for you." He says hugging her side.

"I love you daddy." She says a smile covering her lips as she hugs him back.

"I love you too." He replies kissing her forehead. "Now why don't we head back. We have enough fish for dinner."

"Okay, but can we take the long way?" Lily asks a hopeful smile on her lips.

"Of course," He replies moving to his feet before he dusts his blue jeans off. He holds his hand out to Lily to take and she smiles as she lets her dad lift her up off the ground with little to no effort. She hands him her fishing pole and he quickly disassembles it before he places into one of the saddle bags. "You need help getting up on Domino?" Thor asks as he looks over to see his six-year-old daughter struggling to pull herself up into the seat.

"NO, I can do it." Lily replies taking a step back before she walks up to Domino's white sock and gently reaching out makes the mare start to kneel her head and chest down. "Stay Dom." Lily orders and the horse remains still. Lily quickly uses her chance to pull herself up into her saddle and once her feet are secure in the stirrups she gently pats the mares neck and says, "Ok, you can stand up."

"Did Odin show you that?" Thor asks a smirk filling his lips.

"Nope, grandma Frigga did." Lily replies a bright smile filling her lips.

"Of course, she did." Thor add as he swings his leg up over the saddle pulling himself up into the saddle of his golden stallion. "Are you ready?"

"Yup." Lily answers and he nods as he squeezes his legs slightly making his golden stallion start walking back toward the house.

Upon arrival Lily stares at the rental car worry filling her tiny body. She manages a glance in Thor's direction to see his brows furrowed slightly and she grips tight to the split reins in her grasp. Her dad might not tell her outright that he was upset about her meeting her real father, but she knew, it hurt him a little bit. Riding into the barn she pulls the reins back gently causing Domino to stop and glance back at her. Horses were smart. They could tell when their riders where feeling uncomfortable. Lily gives her a reassuring pat before swinging her leg over the saddle horn and letting herself slide down the stirrup her feet landing softly on the cool cement floor.