5: Ill Treatment

Some months have passed and I have not been in the best of shape. I was attacked by a dog some time ago and when I got home my foot was so swollen that I had to get one of the butlers to cut the boot off for me. They doctored up the bites and the doctor came by to assess the damage. He said that whoever had cut off my boot had also sliced open my leg as well and I should keep an eye on it. I promptly fired the man and took to caring for my foot as best as I could.
But I haven't gotten any better since then. I've been very lethargic, I keep vomiting, and I've been gaining weight for no apparent reason. I haven't been very hungry in general but I keep gaining weight in my midsection, so much so that I can't even wear my pants. It's a hassle to try and make my pants fit me when I don't really plan to go out. Since I've been so under the weather, I have taken to just staying in my room or lounging around with my pants undone even though the legs are becoming a little tight as well. I have to hobble around anyway because of the leg.
It's been very quiet around the manor since I have fired about a third of the staff from whatever crazy spell comes over me. The hysterics and mood swings make me so tired but seeing the looks of people when I do things just gets me so agitated that I can't help myself and I say things to them. So I pretty much have Uma, a butler (I think) and a stable boy if I'm not mistaken. I can't keep track of anyone anymore...

********************************

I have been in the bed for the past couple of days because my head has been killing me non-stop and my leg has been throbbing. I've been taking care of the bites but I feel that something else is wrong that I haven't taken into consideration. It might be the fact that I didn't attend to the scratch where the scissors cut me as well as I should have. All I know is that it gets hot and cold and I can't stand the light at all. Trying to eat is impossible and I feel as big as a cow.
I felt worse today than on others and I heard Uma open the door to check on me. I had half of the covers off and half of them on so that I could keep up with the temperature switches of my body. She walked over and lifted the covers to maneuver them differently (for I think she thought that I was asleep) when she let out this terrified scream. I opened an eye as she began backing away from me.
"Cursed... you've been cursed!" she yelled and ran out of the room.
I had no idea what the hell she was talking about but I didn't really care. My head hurt and definitely more so since she screamed on the way out so I just turned over and went back to sleep.

******************

Minerva
Since I got fired from Lord Barma's what Bastion said was true and I couldn't get a job at any manor since they knew that I used to be a maid at the duke's place. So I was reduced to selling flowers on the streets. It was humiliating and sometimes dangerous but I kept Eadric with me just in case some people got a little frisky and so he usually just gave them a tiny burst of heat from his eyes and that sent them away. I made minimal amount of money, just enough that we could still pay the taxes for the little house we were in.
Bastion wasn't feeling very well either but that was probably due to the fact that Xerxes kept wishing for things to come about and poor Bastion had to give them to him. He always seemed exhausted when I came home and Xerxes always looked guilty about whatever he had done. Though, I have to say that some of the wishes that were done were definitely beneficial for the family in terms of food and whatnot.
Today, I brought Xerxes with me so that Bastion could have a break and rest up from granting things that should not have been asked for.
"This is not working out, Mum. We haven't sold anything all day." Eadric said, sitting next to me. "Not one person wants flowers from us."
"It's cuz we're weird." Xerxes said, climbing into my lap. "That's what that kid over there said cuz he wouldn't play with me."
I made a face at the mother of the child. I knew that troublemaker, the one who tries to get everyone to take her little pastries. I hated her because everyone always did and someone always bought one... well, eight times out of ten they did.
"Maybe that's what I should do, sell little pastries or something." I mumbled, nuzzling my nose in Xerxes' hair to keep warm.
If not wanting to by flowers was enough, trying to sell them in the dead of winter was worse because the flowers usually wilted or looked wilted.
"You should sell hot cider, Mum. That way people would be able to take something warm with them."
"That would be nice, dear, but what are we going to use for cups? We don't have the money to buy cups that people are able to just take and never use again."
"True..." He sighed and looked dejected. "That was a good plan though."
"It was a very good idea and if we had a way to get the cups back, it would be an excellent plan."
"Mrs. Cavensold?" a voice said from over the cart.
I looked up and was surprised to see Uma, the old maid from Lord Barma's manor. I stood up, putting Xerxes beside me.
"It's just miss... What can I do for you, ma'am? Does Lord Barma want some roses as a centerpiece for a dinner party?" I said with a laugh.
Uma didn't look like that was what she came for; in fact, she looked like she was frightened.
"Is there something wrong, Uma?"
"It's the duke. I think he's been cursed."
"Cursed? Who would want to curse him and what makes you think that way?" I said with a laugh.
"There are plenty of father's of young women that the young lord has foolishly deflowered and thus, have had them lose their honor but I saw something that was truly horrid. I can't tell you because it's just too horrible, you have to see it to understand. Please come to the mansion and deal with him."
I lifted an eyebrow and looked at either of my boys.
"Uma, I was fired from there-"
"There is hardly anyone left in the mansion because the young lord has fired them all. In fact, I don't think there's anyone left save the cook and the stable boy."
"And... what about you?"
Uma leaned across my cart with craziness in her old eyes.
"Duke Barma is cursed. I cannot be there with him. I will not serve a man who has been cursed."
"Alright then but why are you here and asking me?"
"Because you already work with those who are cursed." She said, motioning to Eadric and Xerxes.
I narrowed my eyes at her. "Best you watch what you say, Uma. My children are not cursed and I don't appreciate you saying that to them."
"Whatever the case, you know how to handle the strange. This is most definitely strange and you also know how to handle the duke. I have never seen him happy to spar with someone until you talked with him. Please! You will have food, shelter, and a job."
I looked at Eadric who was nodding as well as Xerxes and sighed.
"Fine. I'll do it. But I get double what I made."
"You can discuss that with the duke. I'm sure he'll be willing to do it because you're the only one who is willing to care for him. Best make haste, he has not been feeling that well and probably needs someone to care for him."
"Wait, he's ill?"
"He hasn't been himself lately but his temperature has been fluctuating and he hasn't been hungry."
I almost threw a bouquet of roses at the old idiot. She left the duke alone while he was ill?! You'd think the old ninny would be able to keep up with things!
"I will make haste to be with him." I told the boys to gather up all the flowers and then I pulled the back up to take the cart home and turned to Uma. "Oh, and I will do this on one condition: you are never to set foot in the Barma household again. A woman as old as yourself leaving a man to die because you're scared? How pitiful and neglectful."
I left her at that and went back home.