14: Truth Is Not Good Here

I waited for the duke to come up the stairs. He walked into Bastion's room and turned with a tray but his smile faded when he saw me.
"Minerva..."
"I overhead you talking to Eadric in the kitchen. First of all, you lied to me about cooking. I even tried to teach you."
"I didn't want your pity." Salem said with a frown. "I get enough of that just because I'm pregnant and seem to be ending up bedridden for weeks on end. I didn't need anything else from you."
"That wasn't pity, Salem, it was just being friendly. You need to understand that I'm just... trying to make this house bearable for us both."
Salem turned his head a little.
"Bearable? Woman, I've tolerated your nagging and straightforward attitude, your constant reminder of my mother, your children... I don't think you need to try and make things bearable when I've already gotten accustomed to it. You don't seem to understand me. I would have sent you away if I did not want your family to stay. There's no reason for you to try and make yourself welcome when I've already extended the invitation.
"Now, I know Bastion is sick. May I give him the soup?"
I made a face but held out my hands to take the tray from him. He let me take it, though not very pleased. We both walked over as Bastion moaned and then coughed. He shivered and I put my hand on his forehead.
"He's burning up but he's shivering... Salem, we need Andrew to come back here. I don't care what he tried to do to me! He was as good of a doctor as we are going to get! Please! Let him come back."
Salem looked at Bastion and then nodded slightly.
"Fine. But only for him. Nothing else."
"Thank you! Thank you!"
I went to go write a letter but Salem slammed the roll-top desk before I could get any paper.
"Salem?"
"Unfortunately, it would be faster if you... if you went by horse..." he said, looking away with an uncomfortable look.
"Salem?"
"To save Bastion, I would risk everything." He looked away from me. "Go, Minerva... He needs a doctor."
"Salem-"
"If you don't go now I won't let Andrew in the house. If you want to save him then the fastest way to get to Andrew is to ride one of the horses. Go get one."
I blinked but I realized he was throwing away his insecurities and anger in order to save Bastion. He would let the man who tried to have his way with me in the house again just to save him. I touched his face with my hand softly and brushed my thumb against the five o'clock shadow he was growing. He looked away from me though.
"Go..." he said softly.
"Thank you so much! I'll never forget this!"
I ran off, grabbing breaches, and headed for the stables.

Salem
I watched her go and gripped the side of the desk. The boy was dying and needed a doctor... I couldn't just let the only one I knew standby and not help the boy. It would be cruel. I went to the window and waited when I finally saw her ride away on my horse toward Andrew's mansion that was about a two hours ride from my mansion to his on horseback. I watched her go get the man who almost raped her and bring him back so that Bastion would be alright.
"Your mother is a strange woman."
"Duke Barma..." Bastion called from the bed.
I walked over to him and sat next to him on the bed. He felt his head and sighed, knowing that he wouldn't last much longer. I'm glad I let Minerva get Andrew because I don't think he would last the week... well, I felt he wouldn't last the day but I think he was tougher than that.
"Duke Barma..."
"What is it, Bastion? You need to be sleeping... Here, I made some soup."
I got up and grabbed the bowl of soup that I had made for him. I swirled it around, happy it was still warm. Bastion coughed and moaned and I took the soup to him.
"This will help you feel better."
"Duke Barma... I have to tell you something."
"Eat." I said, blowing on the soup and giving it to him.
"Please... I have to tell you something..."
"You need to rest, Bastion. You can tell me later."
"No!" He coughed. "Duke Barma, listen!"
I stopped and put the soup on the table and looked at him.
"I'm listening."
"I know how you got this way... I know why you're pregnant."
"Oh?"
"It was me... I accidentally did it."
"How is that possible? I didn't even meet you all until Minerva came when I was sick."
"I... I was in the market and someone wished for something... I didn't know it was you, honest!"
"Bastion... what are you saying?"
"I was in the marketplace... and... a man came beside me... He was complaining about a man who defiled his daughter... He said he... he wished that... He wished that the man who did it would know how it felt to be his daughter... know the pain of being disgraced like she would. If I hear a wish, I have to grant it... I didn't know it was you!"
"So you are the reason for this? You're the reason I'm pregnant?"
"Vicariously... I'm sorry! I never meant for it to happen..."
"Bastion... why did you tell me this?"
"Because you love my mother and we love you. We want you to be with her but... I couldn't... Please..."
I tightened my jaw and gripped the sheets. All this heartache and pain and letting down guards, because a little boy can't control his mystical powers? No one knows how livid I was.

Minerva
I rode with Andrew back to Cheddlerstance Manor when I saw my boys outside of the manor in the roundabout with the fountain. All three of them.
"Hurry, Andrew, something's wrong."
"I'm only doing this for Bastion, you know."
"I know. I really don't trust you but you're the closest doctor I know of."
We stopped next to them and I slid off as quickly as I could.
"Eadric, what is going on? Why is Bastion out here?"
"Mummy! He punched us out!"
"Kicked us, X." Eadric growled and then looked at me. "The duke kicked us out."
"Why?"
"I t-told him the truth."
"And that was?!" I asked, frantic.
"I caused the pregnancy from a wish... I had to tell him... Then he kicked us out..."
I growled and went over to the door. I banged on it without let up.
"Do you mind? I'm trying to sleep!" Salem yelled from the balcony.
"I very well do mind! What's your problem?! Why are you tormenting my son?!"
"Your son caused this to happen to me. Your son caused everything. He knew it and let me believe that I was cursed or something. He even let me get close to you! You probably knew about it all along and didn't tell me just so I would fall in love with you!"
"That's preposterous! Why would I want to fall in love with someone like you? You're arrogant, uppity, a mother's boy, and haughty! How could I fall in love with a man like that?!"
"Well that doesn't give you any points, Minerva!"
"You know how bad Bastion is! Why would you do this to him?!"
"He caused it! He's the cause of all my problems. I want you all out! OUT! Get off of my property! And you too, vermin!" he directed at Andrew.
"SALEM!!!"
"Enough, Minerva. You still have your house in the city, right?"
"Y-yes, I do."
"I'll tell Loredo to let us borrow a carriage and we'll take him home. I'm sorry that he kicked you out, Minerva. I would offer you to stay at my manor but I don't think that would help the situation and like you said, I'm not very trusted and I don't think your boys like me. Ah!"
"Nope." Eadric said and I looked over as he shot the red beams into Andrew's riding boot.
"Eadric." I growled.
"What? I don't trust him."
"Mummy, Bastion is sick..." X said as Bastion leaned more onto him.
"Enough of this dribble. Andrew, er, Lord Higgaby, please get Bastion. I'll lead the way on the horse. X can ride with me and you three ride in the carriage."
I waited for him to get Loredo to get a carriage and then we hitched the horse up to it. Xerxes leaned back on me and looked up at me.
"Mummy, why did the duke do that? Why can't we stay there anymore?"
"The duke is a duke, that's all there is to it. Dukes are not very nice. He is a selfish and conceited."
"Oh..." He breathed deep and then sighed. "I wish he was my new daddy..."
"I'm glad Bastion isn't here to hear you say that." I said with a kiss on his cheek.