28: Deja Vu and Something New

Minerva
As I scrub the floor of the house I hear the door open and two people laughing loudly. I look up and see Salem and Andrew -no... Duke Barma and Lord Higgaby- coming in the door.
"I didn't think you had it in you to do that to the poor girl. You're quite the devil." Salem said to Andrew.
"Well, sometimes these women need to understand their place in life."
"You don't have to be so cruel about it though..."
"You used to be just as bad as I am! Ever since your bout of pneumonia, you've been acting awful strange as of late."
"How do you mean?"
"You're a little more laid back, not as rakish. How am I supposed to compete with the Biggest Rake in London if said rake is pulling back the reigns?"
I make a disgusted noise as I scrub the floor harder. After the turn of events, I can now see Andrew for what he is and he is just as lecherous as he tried to be with me so long ago... or not. The days have gotten mixed together over so many realities. Almost a year and then almost a year again and then back to where it was... it's quite confusing. All I know is, I'm back to being a maid in Duke Barma's house and I await the day he figures out who I am.
I can tell some of his past experiences have still stuck with him, giving him a 'conscience' of sorts. He's become a little more kinder with the maids and servants and I've even spotted him in the kitchen. I don't know if it's my own wishful thinking or if it's truly what's happening, but I've also seen him looking at me from afar with a confused expression, as if he is trying to understand something. Again, it could just be my wishful thinking.
I sighed and went back to my work. I couldn't daydream here...
"Anyway, like I was say- whoa!"
"Are you alright?" Salem asked Andrew as I looked up and saw that he was holding his friend.
"I almost slipped on this wet floor." He turned to me and pointed. "You, maid, what is the meaning of this?"
"I'm cleaning the floor."
"Don't you know how to bloody say something when someone is about to walk into a puddle of water?"
"Sorry my lord, I'll remember next time." I mumbled, sighing at having to clean that spot again.
"There could not have been a next time if I had fallen. What would you have done then?"
I looked up at him as Salem watched me calmly.
"Helped pick you back up and hope your arse was intact."
Salem hid a smile as Andrew made a face.
"You think you're funny."
"I try not to be but it didn't happen, so there is no use in thinking about all the possibilities of what could have happened when you are safe and sound without a bruised arse or a twisted ankle. I count that as a blessing."
"She's kind of right, Andrew. You didn't get hurt and that's all that matters. Let it go."
"Are you really defending your maid?"
"I'm defending that you didn't get hurt so what's the point in trying to do anything else about it? Go about your business; I can handle the servants of my own household."
Andrew straightened his jacket and continued walking as Salem looked down at me.
"It would be in your best interest not to piss off my friend. He's had a bad day today."
"Pardon my job being in his way."
He bent down to me and smiled a little.
"I've been wondering something about you... what's your name?"
"Minerva Cavensold."
"Ms. Cavensold... I swear I know you from somewhere. Are you a noblewoman in disguise?"
"That would be grand, wouldn't it?" I said, leaning back on my knees. "But I'm afraid not. I'm just another maid."
Salem made a face. "For some reason, I find that absolutely ridiculous to believe." He reached up and moved some dirt away from my face. "I think there's something else under this dirt and grime."
"Do you?"
"Hmm..."
"Salem, are you coming?"
"I'm scolding the maid."
"Oh, then take your time..."
Salem still had his hand on my face and moved his thumb over my lips.
"Like flower petals... May I ask something of you?"
"You are my lord; you may ask anything you like."
Salem frowned. "What are you insinuating?"
I frowned back. "What do you mean?"
"I'll have you know that I take great respect for the women of my home."
"Yes...?"
Salem seemed to flounder for a second and shook his head.
"I'm so sorry, Ms. Cavensold. I don't know what came over me." He stood up and I stood up with him. "I wanted to ask if you would be my personal maid. You wouldn't have to scrub the floors anymore..."
We had been in this situation before and the first time, I balked at it, hating him with everything I had and feeling like it was just to get me to bed him. Now, though, I had fallen in love with him and whether he knew it or not, he had fallen in love with me. This time... this time the invitation was like a breath of fresh air in this multiple-folded reality.
"Isn't Uma your personal maid?"
"She is but she's old and getting older. There are certain things I would rather her not do. Although I am known as a rake in the ton, I value the women of my home. I shall not do anything untoward to you."
"How noble." I said with a smile.
"What do you say?"
"I would be delighted, sir... although... I have children at home. Would I not have to live here in order to be your personal maid?"
"How many children? Their ages?"
I sighed. This was exactly like it was the first time. Talk about a repeat of life... Although I don't know if he's sixteen or if he's eighteen now...
"My oldest is close to being seven and ten... I believe..." I said truthfully.
I'll have to ask Bastion if I'm right.
"The others?"
"Twelve and five."
"What time would you need to be home for them?"
I blinked. "Um... well... I usually am sent home a little after sundown since the manor is usually cleaned all the way by then."
"Does your oldest son have any skills?"
"Um... not that I'm aware of. Before I was hired here I was selling flowers and he was watching the children so he hasn't had the time-"
"Bring them here."
"What?"
"Tomorrow. Bring them all here. I would like you to be my maid but I cannot leave children to be on their own like that. I'm sure I can find something for all of them to do. Even the small one."
"You don't have to-"
He grabbed my arm and looked into my eyes and I thought, for just a split second, that he remembered me.
"I want to, Ms. Cavensold. I don't know why I do, I just want to. Please don't make me ask you again."
I nodded and he let me go, walking away.
"Splendid! I will see you and your brood tomorrow!"