19: Forgotten

Minerva
I sat in the window seat as I read a book from the library. Andrew said that he liked that my pass time was books instead of shopping since books were cheaper and lasted longer. I loved going to the library and seeing what new adventures were popping up everywhere. Especially from authors that didn't get that much credit, for those were the ones that made the bed sense and had the most realistic love stories.
"Minerva?"
I looked up as Andrew looked at me and smiled.
"Yes?"
"Reading your books again... I was wondering if you could accompany me to the duke's manor for a little bit. I might need your assistance."
I put my bookmark in the book and closed it, putting it in my lap.
"Why would you need me to come with you?"
"You have some care giving capabilities –though lord knows where you got them- and I may need you to help me."
"Which duke is it?"
Andrew gave me a look as he tightened his ponytail.
"Duke Barma of course. His maid had a servant sent over earlier today in regards to his health. She said that he's starting to cough up blood again and is not eating very well."
I frowned. "Consumption?"
"No, it's nothing like that. How, I don't know, but I just do. I wouldn't even ask you to come if I thought he had consumption."
I nodded, knowing that that was true, considering it would be bad to invite someone to come to the house of a person who has a very infectious disease and was not a doctor.
"So you want me to come with you and help?"
"Yes. We might have to stay there a couple of days."
"Can I come with you?" I looked over at the door as Bastion walked in. "I've always wanted to watch Lord Higgaby do his job and since this is a personal friend, I was wondering if I could watch."
Andrew sighed for a second and turned to Bastion.
"But Bastion, your brothers need someone to watch over them."
"We don't like being here by ourselves. The maids are mean." Eadric said, peeking under Bastion's arm.
I gave Andrew an apologetic look but it was ultimately up to him whether my whole brood came with us or not. He looked like he was thinking and then nodded.
"Sure, why not? There's plenty of things for the kids to do and I agree, Eadric, Salem's staff is much more fun to be around. Unfortunately, I don't hire my staff, my father does just like Salem's; my father is dull."
Bastion smiled and I nodded. "I guess that's a yes to your initial question."

**********************

We all rode over to Duke Barma's house and was helped to move into some rooms that was available.
"Lord Higgaby, welcome and thank you." An old woman said, walking down the steps toward Andrew.
I turned my head at her and wondered why I had a deep dislike for her at that moment. Andrew placed a kiss on her hand and looked up at the obnoxious sound that was coming from the balcony of the second floor.
"Is that him coughing?" he asked, looking at the old woman.
She nodded slightly, closing her eyes.
"I'm afraid so, milord. The duke hasn't been very well since the party at Lady Granthum's. From what I gathered, a 'friend' of his stole him away for a bit and though he would usually stay with said friend, he said that he was forced to walk back here on foot due to not having her father know he was there."
Andrew frowned. "Am I presume that Salem, the Duke of Rakes himself, actually ran away from Lady Sophia?"
The old woman nodded. "That's exactly what I'm saying."
Andrew laughed. "Uma, this must be a joke amongst the maids I'm sure."
"I assure you, Lord Higgaby, that is it most definitely true. If he had not been stained from the rain and mud that night and coughing horribly as he walked in dripping wet from the storm, I would have said it was a tale as well. But when I went to him, his face was as white as snow and he sounded exhausted. I put him to bed but he hasn't been well since."
Andrew nodded, a deep frown digging into his face.
"That sounds serious indeed. Oh, sorry, this is Lady Cavensold, she will be assisting me and staying here as well as her three boys."
Uma looked behind me and made a face.
"These are the cursed children?"
I frowned as Bastion stood up straight and glared at her.
"We are not cursed. How dare you make any assumption that you know us."
"Eh, I know of you lot. You're those Thrathum boys."
"Who are also my adopted sons, madam." I growled, putting my hand in front of Bastion to keep him from flying off the handle. I smiled politely and looked at her. "Miss Uma, I'm afraid that if you don't cooperate with us, I will use one of my children against you."
Uma's eyes widened to saucers as I walked by her and into the house.
Bastion came up behind me and laughed a little.
"I often wonder if we really are nobles from the way you talk, Mum."
Andrew laughed a little and put his arm on my waist.
"Come, Minerva... If you want to see as well, Bastion, you can come too."
We nodded and followed him up to the duke's room.