Eleven

In the other chapters, we see things more from Geneva's perspective, but in this chapter we will see things from Harry's. It'll still be third person, but we're going to follow Harry around rather than Geneva. Hopefully this gives you more insight into Harry's view on everything!

"What's this?" Matthias questioned, his eyes narrowed as he looked down at the silver blade in Harry's hands.

"I'm turning in my weapon," he answered, extending his arms fully. He was no longer dressed in his guard uniform, rather a tunic the color of the earth and tight, black pants. His shoes had returned to the worn down, scuffed boots that pinched his toes when he walked and gave him blisters on his heels. He was back to his former self, and he almost felt at ease to not have to live up to the standards of a knight-ranked man.

"Yes, I can see that," Matthias retorted. He left Harry standing with the weapon in his hands, and moved over to where his own blade was safely hidden behind his wardrobe. "Why?" he asked as he lifted the heavy sword from its hiding spot and sheathed it.

"I must return to my family."

Matthias turned his head to look at Harry. "Your family won't last a month without the money you're making here," he said plainly. "Why would you make such a foolish decision, boy?"

Harry detested how Matthias referred to him as such; he was only a year younger than him, yet the title he obtained and his engagement with the younger princess had inflated his ego enormously. He refrained from rolling his eyes to his superior, and exhaled slowly to maintain his calm demeanor. "I will make a living elsewhere."

Matthias chuckled roughly and shook his head. "You're making the biggest mistake of your life."

Harry took long strides over to Matthias's desk, which was strewn with papers and half-empty chalices of mead, and dumped his sword on top of it all, creating a clatter that echoed in the room. "You can't change my mind."

Matthias watched as Harry turned on the heel of his muddy boots, preparing to leave, and felt sad—something he wasn't used to. He wouldn't admit it, but he had grown fond of the young man in the short months that they'd known each other.  "Wait, Styles," he said, hoping his words would stop his apprentice from walking through the doorway. Just as he had hoped, Harry paused and looked over his shoulder. "What's troubling you? Is it something I can fix?"

Harry only shook his head. "I just need to see my family," he lied. He very well couldn't tell the king's right hand man that he was in love with the crown princess, who was already betrothed to the Prince of Audrix. He shook his head again to clear his mind of the thoughts that trampled over his brain mercilessly.

"We need you to keep an eye on Geneva while the Hawthornes are here, though," Matthias reasoned, "The King will be very displeased if he hears that you've abandoned the mission."

"The King will also be very displeased if he hears about your special moment with his eldest daughter," Harry said angrily. It was out of character for him to spit venomous words out like that without a care, but it didn't surprise him that they had finally been said. The fact that Geneva and Matthias nearly kissed when he was engaged to her sister boiled his blood, not to mention she was now playing with his own heart and Prince Zander's. He hated that he had feelings for her.

Matthias's face drained of all blood, his skin which was once a shade darker than Harry's due to his mother's side of the family had gone completely pale. He jutted out his jaw and took a step forward, pointing his finger at Harry as if it were a dagger. "Those words leave your mouth ever again, and you won't have a family to go home to. Understood, boy?"