Twenty Five

The village of Crofton greeted their queen with smiling faces. As Geneva rode on horseback through the streets, children threw dried flower petals toward her, men were in awe by her beauty, and women wept with joy that there was finally a female in command. Shouts of "God save the queen" echoed throughout the streets. All Geneva had to do was smile or wave, and the people were overjoyed.

However, as she glanced back at Harry, who rode behind her, she caught a worried look on his face as he searched the faces in the crowds for his family. She returned her gaze forward and saw Matthias ahead of her pulling his horse to a stop, his hand moving toward his sword. She clicked her mouth and the horse galloped forward, stopping beside Matthias. In the street was a woman with an infant to her breast, its cheeks flushed and eyes watery with tears as it wailed.

"What is this?" Geneva demanded of Matthias.

"This woman will not stand aside, your majesty," he replied.

The woman knelt to the ground. "Your majesty, I beg you to bless my child. He is near death," she yelled over the chaos of the parade.

Geneva inched her horse toward her and the crowd went silent. "Madam, I have not the power of God. For if I did, I would have restored my father's health and he would still be on the throne. But, I shall pray for your child."

"God bless you, your majesty!" the woman cried and backed up to rejoin the crowd of villagers.

Cheers picked back up again and Geneva fell back to her position beside Harry.

"They love you," he said.

Geneva smiled. "And soon they will love you."

"The queen!"

Geneva entered the grand hall as the guard by the door announced her, immediately causing the people inside to fall into bows and curtsies. She expected them to stand after a few moments, but they remained as still as statues in their bowed positions until she was seated at the head of the room. She gave them a smile as they raised their heads once more. "What happened to the music?" she asked cheerily over the deafening silence. Someone clapped and the musicians began to play.

A feast was eaten in celebration. At the table at the head of the room, Geneva sat next to her mother and sister. Matthias stood close by, as did Lady Emilia.

"I don't know half of these people," Geneva admitted to Emilia in a whisper.

"Trust me, you will by the end of the night. Everyone is dying to be introduced to the new queen."

"Only to get in her good favor," Matthias muttered to himself, low enough so Geneva couldn't hear. But, Emilia did and she threw a glare his way.

Dancing commenced after everyone stuffed themselves with food as if it were their last meal. Geneva smiled as she watched the young ladies of court be whirled around the room by strapping young men. Even Caris participated in the dances, smiling from ear to ear as Matthias twirled her and placed his hand on her lower back, whispering in her ear occasionally. That was when the smile faded from Geneva's face. She longed to be twirled and held close by Harry, but she couldn't—not yet.

"Will you not dance, your grace?" Emilia asked.

"No one has asked me."

"Perhaps they are too afraid to approach you," Emilia replied.