Thirty Five

Ladies Emilia and Estelle flew into the queen's chambers as soon as the servant that Harry sent found them. Their eyes were wide with concern as they spotted the seemingly lifeless queen in her bed, Harry by her side with puffy, bloodshot eyes.

"What happened?" Emilia asked, her face pale with fear.

Harry blinked a few times to wet his drying eyes. "There was an assassination attempt," he said, his voice a scarce whisper.

The ladies gasped in unison. "Good God," Estelle muttered, her hand clasped over her mouth.

Emilia walked across the room to go to Geneva's side. She frowned, tears stinging her eyes as she pressed the back of her hand to Geneva's clammy forehead. "Send for Doctor—"

"He's already seen her," Harry said monotonously. "She's just in a state of shock. The perpetrator didn't even graze her skin, she handled it well."

"It is your job to be at her side every waking moment," Emilia suddenly spat, her eyes daggers that pierced Harry's tired face. "Where were you? If you are unable to protect her as a guard, what makes you think you can protect her as a husband?"

The words she spoke were a like a flurry of arrows raining down on him, and he had no amour or weapons with which he could protect himself. He kept his gaze focused on Geneva, her eyes closed and lips settled in an unsettling ghost of a smile. She looked peaceful in her own world that was tucked away from their harsh reality, but he desperately wanted her to wake up. He sighed heavily and flicked his eyes to Emilia. "I was only a minute behind her. Yes, I should have been at her side. Yes, I failed. But Geneva is a capable young woman who can take care of herself. By the time I got there, he had dropped the sword. She does not need the protection of a man like so many of you think. She is not incompetent. And I don't need your stamp of approval of whether or not I am worthy to be her husband, because she has graciously opened her heart to me, and that is all I could ever hope for. To be loved by Geneva is the greatest honor. If I were to die tomorrow, I would die happily."

The room was suddenly filled with a thick silence, the only sound to be heard was the faint breathing of Geneva and the steady crackling of the fire. Emilia was left dumbfounded by Harry's monologue, impressed with his honorable words and embarrassed by the way she had acted.

"Excuse me, but where is the assassin?" Estelle asked meekly from across the room, breaking the silence.

Harry glanced over to her, noticing her nervous disposition, and gave her a reassuring half-smile. "Locked away. No need to worry."

"Has the queen mother been informed of this?" Emilia asked.

"No, Geneva requested that no one find out about what's happened yet," Harry replied, "But I figured that it would bring her some comfort to see you both when she wakes."

"Yes, but, as of now, she is unconscious. This is a dangerous situation, Anna should be made aware," Emilia said.

"I believe she didn't want to alarm the guests or to interrupt the festivities. There's nothing that anyone can do right now anyway. We must simply wait and hope for the best," Harry said.

"The princess would be terribly upset if her wedding day was ruined," Estelle pointed out.

"The princess is conceited," Emilia said sharply. "But, yes, it is best to honor her majesty's wishes. Sir Harry, Estelle and I will stay with her if you wish to rest a while. You look exhausted."

Harry shook his head furiously. "No, I won't leave her. I want to be here when she wakes."

Emilia nodded, lowering herself into a nearby chair. "Then, we will keep you company." She flicked her head in the direction of another chair, silently telling Estelle to take a seat, and she obeyed.