Twenty One

After a long bath to wash away the smuts of ash from the still smoldering village of Kanova, Geneva dressed in the plainest gown she owned, a loose-fitted layering of fabrics that were dyed the color of moss and rose almost to the middle of her neck, knelt before the altar in the chapel as she murmured the prayers of the rosary in hopes of returning her father to health. She was so consumed in her religious words that she didn't even hear the gong for dinner, nor the sound of Harry's footsteps as he entered the chapel and stopped behind her.

"Your highness," he said in a higher voice than usual.

Geneva finished her prayer and opened her eyes, twisting her body to catch a glimpse of her true love standing behind her with an extended hand. She smiled weakly and allowed him to help her to her feet, and then sighed as she stuffed the rosary into the pocket of her dress. "Did the gong ring?" she asked. He only nodded in response, too afraid to say anything that could have possibly upset the princess further. "I seem to have lost myself in prayer. Tell me," she said as she hooked her arm around his strong bicep and allowed him to lead her out of the chapel. "Are you religious?"

She could tell that the question took him by surprise, as his arm stiffened beneath her hand, but she squeezed back lightly as a sign of reassurance. He cleared his throat to speak. "Not as fervent as you, but yes," he replied.

They rounded a corner and were met with the narrowed, judging eyes of two courtiers as they scanned the princess and her guard up and down. Harry tried to slip away, but her grip on his arm tightened and she flashed them a smile. They curtsied low and continued walking in the opposite direction.

"Rumors will spread," Harry warned in a whisper.

"Then let them," she responded without concern.

"Your highness—"

"Don't," she said, stopping mid-step and looking up at him. "I need you right now. My father is on the brink of death and I am on the brink on queendom. I just need a bit of normalcy in my life, and you can provide it."

He gave her a sad smile, his emerald eyes softening with sympathy. "Okay, Ginny," he whispered.

Dinner was nearly silent. Caris wouldn't stop sniffling as she whimpered in a childlike manner, shoving scoops of mashed potatoes past her quivering lips and forcing them down. In contrast, Geneva and Anna were quite stony in their sadness. They maintained a melancholy state, but refused to show weakness. The world had to carry on as it always was, no matter the state of the king.

Halfway through the evening meal, the door to the private dining room opened to reveal Matthias with a letter in his gloved hand. He bowed and waited for permission to enter. Anna snapped her head to the side, granting him entry, and he whisked over to Geneva, extending the letter to her. She placed her fork down on the side of the plate and took the folded parchment, thanking him with a nod. He left at once, leaving the room quieter than before; the brief sight of her betrothed had silenced Caris's sniffles for at least a moment.

Geneva flipped the letter over in her hand and ran her fingers across the wax seal, frowning at the letter H that had been stamped into the hardened red liquid. Nevertheless, she cracked the seal and opened the parchment.

Princess Geneva,

I regret to inform you that your fiancé, my beloved brother, Prince of Audrix, has passed away, and I am left to believe that your knight is to blame for his death. Therefore, your subject must suffer the consequences of his actions. I have sent a letter to your father with details, but felt that as the future monarch you should be made aware.