Thirty Two

Geneva awoke with the heavy feeling of humiliation pressing down on her chest. Like a weight was shackled to her ankles, she couldn't walk with the confidence that she had the day before the incident. Nevertheless, she carried on with her morning routine as if nothing had happened. Estelle and Emilia greeted her, dressed her, and styled her hair, but this time it was in silence.

She walked over to the door, but stopped and held up a hand to prevent Estelle from opening it. She inhaled a shaky, nervous breath and smoothed out her dress, then nodding. Estelle pulled the door open and allowed the queen to walk past her, into the hallway.

Geneva stopped suddenly as she caught a glimpse of Harry in the corner of her eye. He stood to attention in his usual post, shoulders back and head high as he stared straight ahead, his lips forming a rigid line. She turned her body to face him. Emilia and Estelle held their breath and gave each other a nervous glance as they watched the scene unfold.

"Good morning," Geneva said, her voice small.

"Good morning, your majesty," he said with little emotion.

She fought against the urge to frown. "Will you not look at me? Have I offended you so?"

His eyes fell to hers immediately. "No, never," he said in a breath, his voice low.

"Then, will you join me for breakfast?"

His eyes widened briefly, but soon relaxed. "I would like that."

Geneva smiled and reached out for his arm, looping hers around it. They began to walk down the hallway, silent in each other's company for fear of what the courtiers passing by would say or do. As they came across the ladies and lords of court, they kept their gaze forward, but they could both clearly see the many bowed heads as they walked by and they could feel their eyes burning into their backs as they walked away.

"Ginny, aren't the King and Queen of Nydale joining you for breakfast?" Harry asked as they neared the door to the dining room.

She gulped. She had almost forgotten that she was supposed to be arranging an alliance. "Yes, they are."

"Are you sure you want me there?"

They stopped in front of the door and Geneva turned to face him. "You will be king soon enough. People will have to get used to you being by my side. And if they don't like it, then that will be treason."

He couldn't help but smile as those words left her mouth, but when the door was opened to reveal the queen mother, the princess, and the Nydalen king and queen, it faded away. Nerves swirled within his body, but he tried his best to emulate the confidence that his fiancé displayed so well, so naturally.

Geneva entered the room with Harry at her side. "Good morning. I'd like to formally introduce you all to my betrothed, the future King of Velora, Sir Harry Styles. He will be joining us for breakfast this morning."

Caris rolled her eyes and pushed her half-eaten plate away. "I seem to have lost my appetite," she said as she stood from her chair and walked past Harry and Geneva without a second glance.

Anna cleared her throat. "Good morning, Geneva, Sir Harry," she said kindly. "Do join us. His majesty, King Alastair, was just telling us about Nydale."

Harry looked at the queen mother and gave her a gracious smile, which she reciprocated. Geneva then took his hand and led him around the table so they could sit next to each other.

As they filled their plates with food, Harry glancing over at Geneva occasionally to follow her prim and proper movements, Alastair picked up where he left off as if nothing had happened. "Nydale is currently in its rainy season, so it's a nice change to be somewhere dry," he said.