Eighteen

"Good afternoon, soldiers." Luther's voice was strained as he addressed the group of guards before him. He sat atop his throne with his forearms resting on the arms of the chair, his hands dangling off the end and his shoulders resting against the back, slouching instead of his usual perfect posture.

"Good afternoon, your majesty," the men replied in unison, as if they had been programmed to do such.

Geneva surveyed the room from her father's side, noticing the stark difference in the people that were originally chosen to bring relief to the village and the three men that were asked to join for the sake of the princess. Other than Silas, Matthias, and Harry, the guards wore the standard uniform for low-ranked men; tarnished chainmail, a purple tunic underneath, and black pants and boots. For the guards with knightly rankings and those that held positions in the palace, the uniform was far nicer, consisting of fine, silver suits of armor with a cursive U engraved on the front and back, and polished black boots in which one could practically see their reflection.

"Princess Geneva has decided to join you on your journey to bring relief to the villagers. Lady Emilia will accompany her, as well as three of my best men. You will do everything to ensure the safety of the princess first and her companion second. Should anything go wrong, you will not answer to your commanding officer, but to me."

Geneva watched as a few men gulped with fear at her father's words. He was clearly concerned by the danger of the journey, and she wasn't naïve—she knew it was a risk, too. But, it was also a chance to gain the trust of poor villagers that might have held doubts before.

"Treat these villagers with respect. I want no more harm to come to any of them, so control yourselves and do not take advantage of grieving women. If you choose to partake in disreputable behavior, an example will be made of you." Luther stood to his feet and glanced over his right shoulder to Geneva. "Disreputable behavior applies to you, too," he whispered.

Her eyes flashed to her feet. "Yes, Father."

"Very good," he said, then looking back out at the men. "You will leave before dawn and return before dusk," he said, his eyes staring straight at Matthias, as he was always the leader in matters like those. "Understood?"

"Yes, your majesty," Matthias answered with his eyes averted to the ground.

Without uttering another word, Luther stalked out of the throne room, leaving Geneva to trail behind him. As she caught up to his side in the hallway, she pursed her lips in thought before speaking.

"Em is coming?" she asked, unaware of this addition to the party of people.

"I thought you would enjoy having female company," Luther responded, his voice becoming crackly mid-sentence. He cleared his throat with a grumble. Stopping in his tracks, he froze as his hand moved to his chest and he wheezed, almost as if the breath was knocked out of him.

Geneva's eyes widened as she immediately grabbed hold of her father's arm to steady him. "Father?"

He shook his head, swallowing hard as he caught his breath. "I'm fine. Just a cough."

"Perhaps I should call for Doctor Moore," she suggested.

"No," he said sternly, almost frightening Geneva. He noticed her shift in demeanor and softened immediately. "Don't worry yourself, child. It's only a cough. I just need some water."

"If you're sure." She released his arm and looked at him with worried eyes, watching as he nodded in response to her statement and began to walk down the corridor, disappearing as he slipped into his study.

"Your highness?"

Spinning around at the deep voice, she was surprised to see Silas standing there. "Hi," she said with a smile that he didn't return.

"I'm sorry to question you, but are you sure that going on this journey is the best idea?" His voice was soft, almost as if he were afraid to speak.

"With you, Harry, and Matthias by my side, everything will be fine. Thank you for your concern," she said kindly.

"Yes, your highness," he said in a tone of defeat.

"Nothing will change my mind," she smiled, trying to lighten his spirits. But he was old and wise, and knew the land far better than Geneva ever could. There was no erasing his concern on the matter. Nevertheless, Geneva smiled and left his presence to get ready for supper.

The gong sounded, signaling to the royal family and the staff that it was time for supper. In the dining hall, Geneva took a seat at the table across from her mother and next to her sister.

"Bless us, O Lord, and these, Thy gifts, which we are about to receive from Thy bounty, through Christ, our Lord. Amen." The family spoke in unison, crossed themselves, and cut into the roasted duck on their plates.

Through the silence, the sound of utensils scraping against porcelain plates filled the room until Caris finally spoke up. "I wish to have a ball in honor of my engagement to Matthias," she said after swallowing a bite of her potatoes.

Geneva tried her best not to roll her eyes, and simply waited to see what her father would say. She watched as he took a swig of his wine and blotted his lips with a napkin.

"And when were you thinking of having it?" he asked.

"Next week. Wednesday, perhaps? That's a nice day," Caris answered.

"Really, Caris, I don't understand how you can be so ignorant," Geneva finally said harshly.

Her sister furrowed her thin brows. "Because I want a party? That makes me ignorant?" she asked defensively and then looked to her mother for aid. "Mother, why does she hate me so?"

Anna rolled her eyes and downed her glass of wine, snapping her fingers at the servant in the corner to pour some more. As the glass filled with the deep red liquid, Anna glanced between her two daughters, who were staring at each other with anger, and then sighed heavily. "I should've had boys," she mumbled.

"It makes you ignorant because it's all you think about. Did you know there was a fire in one of the villages? People are dying beyond the palace walls and all you can think about is your stupid wedding," Geneva snapped.

"Well, I'm sorry that as the second daughter I don't have to worry about those sort of things. I am perfectly content being the spare and not the heir."

"And thank God for it," Geneva said lowly through a sigh as she raised her glass to her lips.

"Enough," Luther groaned, "Caris, you will have your ball. Geneva, stop pestering her over things she doesn't have to worry about."

Geneva scoffed after Caris poked her tongue out at her like a child. "Once you are married, you will take up housing on the south wing, right?" Caris nodded in response. "My prayers have been answered," Geneva whispered to herself.

"I can hear you," Caris hissed.

Geneva shrugged, and stabbed a cube of duck with her fork before swirling it around in the gravy on the plate and shoving it into her mouth.

"By next week, we will know whether or not Zander will survive. If he hasn't, the ball will be a perfect opportunity to invite the King and Queen of Nydale to Velora in order to discuss a possible alliance," Luther said, nudging his half-eaten plate away from him.

"I suppose you're right," Geneva said reluctantly.

"There," Caris said, "I did something for the good of Velora for once. Are you happy?"

Geneva flashed a mocking smile. "Thrilled."

"God help me," Anna muttered before finishing her second glass and snapping her fingers once again.