Thirty Four

Although the nature around them was decaying, there was nothing but vibrant life in the chapel that Sunday morning. Ribbons of pastel pinks and oranges were draped along the pews that were filled by the various nobels of Velora. When the choristers began to sing a beautiful hymn, everyone in the chapel rose to their feet and turned to face the double doors behind them that were drawn open by a pair of guards.

Geneva secretly watched her sister enter the room from the royal box that was installed in a balcony above the doors. She was the perfect princess bride, dressed in a beautiful blue gown to compliment her golden hair. As she reached the altar, Geneva felt tears fill her eyes and sank back in the box, turning on her heel to leave only to bump into Harry. He gave her a reassuring smile, took her hand, and led her back over to the railing to watch the rest of the ceremony.

"I can't believe she's doing this," Geneva whispered to him as the priest began to read from the Bible. "She knows what kind of man he is, I told her everything."

Harry looked down at her with his brows pulled together. "This is her life, Ginny. Let her live it."

Geneva slipped her hand out of his and briskly exited the box, hurrying down the staircase to head for her chambers. Halfway down the corridor, however, a figure in a shadowy corner caught her attention. She halted, narrowing her eyes to make them out. "Who's there?" she demanded rather than inquiring.

As the figured stepped forward, piercing blue eyes met her gaze, and her heart fell to her stomach. A smirk formed on Kal's lips. "Your guards seem to have forgotten my face, your majesty," he said, his voice almost like a growl.

She tightened her jaw, refusing to show terror or weakness. "What message have you from your mistress?"

As he stepped forward, she stepped back. He chuckled lowly at her obvious fear and ran his tongue over his lips as would an animal preparing to attack his prey. "No message this time."

She felt the coolness of the stone wall behind her back. A feeling of helplessness set in as she watched Kal's large hand move to the hilt of his sheathed sword, his fingers tapping against it like the keys of a piano. "She would have you kill me? Her equal—a fellow queen who rules without a king, a queen who is also mourning the loss of a family member?" Geneva asked, hoping that her voice was strong.

"I simply follow orders, majesty," he said, now only an arms length from her. He drew his sword and pointed the silver tip to her heaving chest, his lips curling as the panic set into her eyes.

In a desperate attempt to save herself, she made the quick decision to turn Kal against Zabrina. "She is not a queen worth serving." The words tumbled out of her mouth in a flurry as the pressure of the silver point increased against her bosom. When she saw the glint of curiosity in Kal's eyes, she knew she had a chance. "Have you ever wondered why Zabrina is unwed? Have you ever wondered why she is so cruel to everyone, yet she gave refuge and a high position at court to a former slave? It's because she is in love with her—Lady Eirene. Now, tell me, do you respect her? How can you serve a queen who goes against the very ideals of your kingdom, who has lied to you for so many years?"

For a moment, Kal faltered, but it didn't last long. He shook his head vigorously, as if to remove the words from his mind, and pressed the sword against her chest once more, piercing the fabric of her gown and reaching her corset. "Lies roll off your tongue as blood from a wound. I'll not listen to your poisonous words," he hissed.

"I speak truth," Geneva said harshly, her jaw jutted out. "Why else would she refuse every proposal thrown her way? Why else would she spend every waking moment with someone who is so far beneath her? Hm?"