seven

Three months passed. And then four. In July Karlie had completely forgotten about the fact that the flooding was even there anymore. This was the world now. Everyone was beginning to accept it. And Taylor did not go home.

"Tay, we have fifty spoons at home," Karlie sighed when Taylor picked up a golden teaspoon in the Target they were browsing.

"Oh, what's one more," Cara fussed, fanning herself with an extravagant satin fan.

The Fourth of July was hot. Karlie had decided to take everyone out shopping before the evening festivities at Cara's penthouse. And the heat of the mall was slowing everybody down. Karlie was getting irritable, and Taylor noticed it. And when Karlie was in a mood, Taylor was too. Karlie let out a groan and shook her head, "Let's get an ice tea in Starbucks."

"Yes! Thank you," Poppy exclaimed, adjusting her oversized sunglasses.

"Shite, where's Taylor," Cara said.

"I thought you were holding the leash!" Karlie gasped.

"I thought Poppy was," Cara mumbled.

"Oh fuck you, no I wasn't," Poppy said.

"Exactly," Cara countered.

"Both of you quit it. We gotta find Tay or Jerky Jeffrey will make me pay twenty dollars to the office," Karlie groaned.

"Taylor is right over there," Poppy pointed down the mall.

Taylor was. She had found some sort of promotional advertisement and was speaking to the sales lady. Karlie rolled her eyes and rushed up to them. "Hey, sorry about her," she apologised to the perky brunette behind the fold up table.

"Aw, she's not bothering me!" the sales lady grinned, her teeth a sparkling pearl.

"Karlie look," Taylor said holding up a plastic spray bottle. It appeared to be filled with regular water.

"We're a company that specialises in water angel care products!" said the lady standing up from her table. "Our new summer line has really taken off this year."

"What's this?" Karlie asked holding up the bottle.

The sales lady beamed, "That is a salt water sprayer! So, when your water angel is feeling hot or needs a quick boost and you don't think she needs a bath or the pool, spray her wings down. It's just filled with sea salt and water and a little anti bacterial solution, and that's it. Isn't it cool!"

She demonstrated by spritzing down Taylor's wings, which Taylor fanned out happily. She shook her feathers and turned around to be sprayed at another angle.

"I think we'll take it," Karlie sighed, smiling at how Taylor wiggled herself about. "I appreciate that more people are willing to care for water angels."

"I'm glad I could help," the lady grinned. "Is she yours? Did you take her in?

"She's mine all right. Sometimes she's a handful. But it looks like more companies like you guys are realising they need proper care," Karlie grinned. "I spoil her," she said with a laugh, "Sometimes I think I'm overdoing it but I guess it's worth it in the end."