Chapter II: Conflict

As I rushed to Gabriel's office carrying the Blackwatch report printed in a folder, I was still in shock. I just couldn't believe my closest friends — my family — were capable to do something like that. Yes, they were soldiers. But we were Overwatch. An organization created by the United Nations to keep the world in peace, not to go against all human and omnic principles. I already felt a huge guilt for being part of violent acts, like Uprising itself, even knowing that, sometimes, that appeared to be the only solution — although my heart would always tell me I was wrong. — But knowing that I helped Blackwatch become what it was... That is just a completely new level of self-betrayal.

I finally make it to Gabe's room. I requested to open the door through the digital panel by it — no response. — I tried swiping my card, didn't work either. Not even the PIN code worked. He had deadlocked it. I started knocking on his door and shouting his name.

I gave up after a while. I didn't know what was going on, but I could feel it was somehow related to what I had just found.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, then slowly started to walk away.

Suddenly, I hear the sound of the pressure mechanism opening the door.

I turned around to see Gabriel like I had never seen him before. He had a sad look on his face, staring at the floor, it seemed like he had just stopped crying.

— Gabe... — My voice was breaking. Words could not describe what I felt seeing him like that. — Are you okay?

His eyes slowly went up towards me.

— Come in — he whispered.

I quietly walked into his office. You could feel the weight of the air pushing you down. I could also sense he had something to tell me. Something equally bad — or even worse.

I tried to take a look at his face. Something was wrong with it. It looked like some dark smoke was coming out of it, but it wasn't quite like that. It was smokey, but it was heavier. It didn't quite look it was coming out of him, it looked like he was becoming the smoke. After a while, it disappeared, but you could still see some signs on his face — it had a bright red tone and his veins were clearly visible.

I assumed a firm tone in my voice and asked, worried:

— Gabriel, what's going on?

He was just standing there, leaning on his desk, staring at the floor.

— Subject #24. That's how they call me down there. It's like they don't want me to let go of my past. Soldier: 24 — he giggled — what a joke.

I looked down to the folder. That and potential experiments on Gabriel? What the hell was going on under my own watch?

Rumor had it that more than 100 agents were under the care of Dr. O'Deorain and other Blackwatch medics at the Advanced Medical Testing Program. I had seen a lot of agents with unearthly resistance to pain, strength and other factors, but I had never seen something as I was witnessing in Gabriel's face.

— Gabe... There's something more about Blackwatch, isn't there?

He hesitated to answer.

— The things they force us to do... — He looked up at me. — You wouldn't believe it, Angela.

I knew Gabriel was a tough guy. For him to be breaking down like that, something serious must have happened. And I felt like I already knew what it was, so I just broke it to him:

— I read Genji's report — I said with my heart falling apart. I hated seeing my friends like that. I could feel something terrible was about to happen.