1.2

Asleep - the Smiths

The three friends were waiting anxiously to hear about Remus. Peter had driven Lily and James to the hospital. Lily held onto both of their hands, squeezing tightly.

"How could I have been so stupid...I was so busy, i hadn't realized how stressed he really was. I-I thought he was just being moody, b-but he needed me and i w-wasn't there." Lily let go of their hands, placing them on her face as she cried softly. She stood up and made her way to the nearest restroom, not wanting the boys to see her so weak.

"Have you called Sirius?" Peter asked. James scuffed and leaned back into his seat.

"Yeah." He rubbed his forehead. "6 times."

"Did you leave him a message?" James shook his head. "How is he supposed to know?"

"If he gave a damn he'd fucking be here Peter! But he isn't because he's a terrible friend who only cares about himself..." James snapped. A lump formed in his throat. "I thought he would have enough sense to stay and make things right, but no. He just had to go run away. He's with Marlene, I guess she stays around here too."

Lily made her way back to the two boys. Her eyes were red a puffy. As she sat down, Remus' nurse made her way over.

"May I speak with you Ms. Evans?" Lily got up to go over to the slightly taller nurse. "We were able to heal Mr. Lupin's wound on his head but, he is still unconscious. It appears that he hasn't eaten for quite some time, is there anything you could tell us?"

"I didn't know he wasn't eating again...When I was gone, he had gone through most of our food. I found him on the bathroom floor and I don't doubt that he vomited all that he ate." Lily explained.

"To ensure that he gets well soon, we have to tube feed him. When he awakes, we recommend that he visits our Eating Disorder Institution for at least a week." Lily choked back tears and nodded. "Visiting hours are almost over. If he awakes tonight we'll give you a call." The nurse gave her a warm smile and walked back towards Remus' room.
Lily made her way to Peter and James who stood up, ready to leave. She fell into James' arms and began sobbing. She reached out for Peter and he wrapped his arms around the two. They all held onto each other tightly.

•••

"Marlene, have you seen my phone? I haven't seen it since lunch." Sirius was looking under Marlene's sofa cushions frantically. He felt terrible for ignoring Remus but at the same time he didn't care. Remus was the one who hurt him.

"How did you lose your phone, you idiot. Maybe you forgot it at the cafe. Want me to call and ask?" Marlene was sitting in the dining room studying while Sirius ranted about almost everything.

"Got it!" It was laying under the sofa faced down. Neither of them knew how it got there. He had put his phone on silent after Remus had texted him the first time. He didn't want to be bothered. 

Six Missed Calls From Jam Jam

Sirius frowned, James never called unless it was important. They usually only sent each other texts. Sirius tried to call back but it went straight to voicemail. His phone must be dead.

"I'm gonna head back to the apartment, I think somethings wrong." Sirius said to Marlene as he grabbed his keys and helmet.

"Do me a favor and stay there." She replied without looking up. Sirius rolled his eyes and made his way outside.

•••

When the three friends reached their hallway, Lily stopped and turned to James.

"Is it alright if I sleep with you tonight? I don't want to be in there alone..." She said quietly. James ran his hand across her face and nodded his head.

"You two head inside, I'll clean up the kitchen." Peter and Lily exchanged smiles before going their separate ways, closing their doors behind them.

After Lily changed into some of James' clothes, she crawled onto his bed and started to fall asleep. James pulled a blanket over her when they heard the door swing open.

"Wow, Peter cleans pretty fast." Lily chuckled. James frowned and peeked out his door. A tall boy with long wavy hair was standing wide eyed in the entrance of their apartment. James stormed over to him.

"Get out." James said coldly, clenching his fists. Sirius frowned at his best friend.

"What's going on?"

"Like you care, you don't even have the decency to pick up your damn phone. We needed you here. He needed you here. And where were you? Hiding away from all of your problems." James' blood was boiling. "How could you just leave him like that? You could have at least tried to work things out. Now he's...Now....h-he's..." his voice broke as he sat down on their sofa, head in his hands. Sirius sat beside him, pulling the boy into his arms.

"James, who are you talking about? What are you talking about?" Sirius  began to get worried.

"R-Remus...He's in the h-hospital. Apparently he's bulimic, or was, or is? I don't know. He binged and when we found him he was on the f-floor...there was blood...he hit his head when he fell unconscious..."

Sirius froze. This is all my fault. He should have been there for him. He shouldn't have pushed himself away. Remus had told him that he used to do those kind of things but he's never seen it. Remus was better when he was around Sirius, being with Sirius distracted him, it made him happy.

"H-how long? How long will he be there?" James sat up and took a deep breath before turning slightly to Sirius.

"We don't know. If he wakes up, when he wakes up, he'll be sent to some special hospital for eating disorders for a week. But the doctors aren't sure when he'll awake. He took a pretty hard hit to the head and his body is so unnourished that it isn't healing properly." James explained.

Sirius took in a shaky breath, standing up abruptly.

"I have to see him. I have to g-go see him n-now." Sirius sobbed. He couldn't hold is back anymore. He completely broke. Warm arms wrapped around his body. He cried into James' shoulder and clung onto the boy.

You did this.
You caused this.
You ruined him.
You're a monster.