1

It was a Tuesday. Law class started in 15 minutes exactly, and John Laurens was already running late. " Keys.... keys..... where for art thou keys?"

John patted his pockets that were sewed into his red plaid sweater. He turned, scanning his small dorm room. He glanced over at the light teal dresser that was placed diagonal from the dark mahogany colored door.

" Laff, have you seen my keys?" John yelled, opening random drawers and glancing under tables. Marquis de Lafayette, most often known as Lafayette and or Laff, stepped out of the small kitchen the duo shared.

He held a coffee mug in his hand, using the sleeve of his over-sized purple jacket as a heat protector. He took a sip out of the plain white mug.

" Did you check your pockets?" he suggested, his accented voice lifting slightly and the end of his sentence.

John sighed dramatically. " Yes."

" Hm," Lafayette mumbled. " Behind the couch."

" Why would they be behind the couch?" John grumbled. Despite his words, John moved folding the couch over a bit, searching around the carpeted floor for his keys. A glimmer of silver caught his eye.

John reached down and grabbed his keys, they clinked against one another as he lifted his hand. He held the keys up to show Lafayette.

" How did you know?"

Lafayette shrugged and sat down at the small circular dinner table that sat near the corner of the kitchen. " Have fun at your class."

" Bye, Laffy Taffy." John left the dorm with 10 minutes to spare. Okay, he thought to himself, I can get to my class in about five minutes. I'll be on time.

John rushed out of the dorm building. The cold air of New York stung at his face. " Shoulda brought a jacket, a scarf too," he grumbled as he speed walked to the college buildings.

As soon as he opened one of the large glass doors that held the hot air of the college buildings, the strong scent of coffee hit John square in the face.

" What-"

A young girl who was draped in a thick coat and scarf smiled at John as soon as he took a step into the building. " Hello sir, would you like to try a sample of our coffee?"

" Uhm," John was about to say no when he remembered that he hadn't had his coffee this morning. Coffee was a must for him, as if he didn't have at least a sip in the morning he would be asleep by noon. " Sure," he nodded.

The girl rushed back to a small white table. She picked up a styrofoam cup and poured it full of black coffee. Dark coffee with nothing else. Just the way John liked it.

" Thank you." He took the cup from the girls hand. Before he could run off to get to class, the girl spoke.

" Reynolds Coffee, don't forget the name!" John smiled and ran off in an attempt to get to class on time. He only had 3 minuets left.

••••

John walked out of the classroom. " Maybe law isn't my thing."

John made his way back to his dorm. He passed the main hall, where the young lady had set up a small coffee shop only a few hours earlier. He passed through the glass doors, and made his way to the dorm building. He had to walk up a few flights of stairs to get to his dorm, because the elevator wasn't working.

He had finally made it to his hall. The hall where his dorm sat, near the middle of the secluded area. Barely anyone else lived on this hall, only Hercules Mulligan, who was a bulky black man with a kind heart, he's still waiting for his roommate; and the three Schuyler sisters. Peggy, Angelica, and Eliza. A group of mixed sisters, all three biracial. And of course John and Lafayette.

All of the hall mates were friends with each other. They even had annual movie days (every other Friday). John was about to open up his dorm room door, when he heard a shuffling sound near the steps. He looked up.

" Do you need help?"

Ahhhhhh I hate this chapter

But I'm not re writing it.

Let's hope it gets better as time goes on.