One

She took a breath, exhaling in a heavy long sigh

She took a breath, exhaling in a heavy long sigh. From the spot on her roof, she saw the world. Almost in her grasp, nearly in her hands but, too big for her touch. She wanted to know how many she could see from the place she was at.

1

2

3

One-by-one she saw them all, admiring for who they were individual. Each star has their story and each has proof of a life that was once held.

Her grandmother told her when she got older and became sick, she will join the stars. That star was the one that twinkled every time she looks at it, that was her grandma.

In a soft voice, she would speak, speak to the star in the sky, the star that knew her name. She smiled as she told the star about her day every night.

This time she cried, "why do they hate me, grandma? Why do the people at school yell at me and tease me? Why do they belittle me and make me feel worthless? Today, they tripped me and I ruined my outfit because I landed in the mud. Grandma, do you watch me suffer and cry? Do you speak to God to send me a guardian? One who will care for me and accept me for who I am. Should I just move away? My mom wants to go back to Korea so she can relive happy memories with me, she knows the kids at school don't like me. I just can't leave, we live under the same sky yet I am afraid to lose sight of you. Grandma, will you come with? You were happy in Korea, you probably miss it there too."

The tears that spilled at every aching word that slipped past her lips clawed at her raw throat. She closed her eyes tight, taking a deep breath before getting up. It was time for bed two hours before her alarm would have went off. Slipping back into her window, closing it softly.

She laid in her bed and held her stuffed puppy plush to her chest, curling up under her covers. Crying made her relieved and so with a relaxed heart, she slept through the rest of her morning.

☆~☆~☆~☆~☆

She took an apple from the fridge, her mom was looking out the front window. Looking up behind her mom to find out what she was looking at.

"What are you looking at mum," she asked.

Her mother jumped with a hand over her heart, "gee willikers! Don't do that."

"Then stop stalking."

"We have new neighbors, they seem to have a boy your age."

"Ew boys."

She scrunched her face in disgusted before bidding her mom a farewell. She looked around at the clouds, they weren't as interesting as stars but, they were fluffy floating cotton balls. Nevertheless, they were still admirable.

"Oof, I'm sorry," she said, stepping back from running into another person.

She never looked up, she stared at the ground. She never looked up once she apologized or before she said anything for that matter.

"If you keep looking up, your head will be lost in the clouds," they said, the deep voice sending chills down her spine.

"Yes, Sorry," She softly mumbled under her breath maybe he was the neighbor. 

She walked away with nothing, no name, no address, no exchange of looks even. She sighed, she avoided people that could be trouble as much as she could.

Yet, she still returned home with a broken smile.

First chapter what's up