CHAPTER 9 | He didn't believe me

I was headed towards the Chemistry lab when a thought interrupted my action "wait a minute, did I just invited him over to have lunch with me? " This can"t be true. Now what am I going to do?, I was not prepared for this. What will Anne think of me, us? I have to do something but what.

"Hey girl, move it." someone from behind yelled at me for standing in the middle of the corridor.

"Oh!, sorry." I apologize and start moving.

-

"Good morning class, today we will be focusing on Atomic structures. As you already know all substances are made from atoms. Each atom is made of a nucleus containing protons and neutrons surrounded by electrons." Miss Forbes continues,"Electrons are the smallest of the three particles that make up atoms. Electrons are found in shells or orbitals that surround the nucleus of an atom. Protons and neutrons are found in the nucleus. They group together in the center of the atom.

I can't focus, I try to take notes but they end up being scribbles all over the page. Okay, I mutter to myself, take deep breaths, inhale and exhale. But it made no difference, I just can't. I feel my mind going numb because of all this overthinking, it needs to stop.

Just then a sudden sound alarms me, it's the bell. "Okay class, that's it for today." I could hear Miss Forbes say. I hang my sling bag over my shoulders and try to escape but Anne blocks my way, "Where are you going?" she interrogates.

"Ummm... I..I actually have plans, see ya!" I wave at her and move past her while she stares at me in utter confusion.

Instead of meeting him in the cafeteria I rush towards the library, where I know he would never come. I enter the library and sit on a table far away from the entrance door, I open up my Chemistry books as I have no clue about today's lecture. I bury myself in the book and hide my face behind it.

I have to face him one or another day and give him the answer of why I couldn't come, even though I invited him. I have to think of an explanation, but that won't be today.

-

"Students", the librarian claps her hands to gain everyone's attention, "we have to close the library so can you please move out." I could see everyone walk towards the door and I do the same, although I don't want to but I am forced to do so.

"So this was your plan, to ditch me and spend your break in the library."

"No Anne, actually--" she doesn't let me complete my excuse and bombards a bomb of questions on me.

"Why did you lie to me? Why did you ditch me for going to the library? Did I do something wrong? Are you okay? Do you want a ride home?"

"Anne will you actually listen to me." I shout at her, "Yes I lied to you but will you hear me out, there is a reason so will you let me speak." she stares at me, open-mouthed she doesn't even blink, her expression did not change for quite a while.

"I might have accidentally invited Daniel for lunch and that's why I hid in the library, I didn't ditch you I just avoided you for a while. Can you help me, please?" she nodes her head and holds my hand to calm me down.

"Let's go home right now, we can think about this later on." she adds, I agree and she drives me home.

                                  ●●●

'Hey sweetheart, you came early today." mom asks. After what happened last night I really don't want to talk to her but I don't want more drama today, especially in front of Anne.

"I wasn't feeling school today mom so Anne came to accompany me."

"Okay, you girls go upstairs I will bring some snacks."