Chapter 7

I take a deep breath, and the smell of autumn flows inside of me. Summer is almost over, and I'm pretty sad about it. Even though I only got to feel it for a few days, I'll miss the warm weather and freedom that comes with the season.

I sit on the front porch of the house alone while Alex and Jason are inside making breakfast. When I first came out here, I thought about just running away. It seemed like a good option at the time. But then my brothers would call the cops. And I don't exactly have the best track record with them right now.

So here I am. More miserable than ever.

I can admit to one thing though. There's a refreshing feeling about being out here. Back at the asylum I was almost never let outside. I was force to spend my days in my white cell. I don't have to breathe the smell of hand sanitizer and bleach. I feel so peaceful, almost free even.

But soon my peace is shattered and the front door opens, and Alex walks out. He scans the area for a while, then notices me sitting on the large rocking chair. "Oh, there you are. Breakfast is ready."

I nod, and stand up, following him into the kitchen. Jason just finishes setting the food on the table when we come in. He takes a seat next to Alex, and I sit across from them. While they take their time to pray over their food, I immediately dig in.

When I finish, I try to stand up and go to my room, but before I can, Jason calls out to me. "You should take your medicine Adeline." He stands up, and opens a cabinet above the sink. He takes out an orange bottle and uncaps it. After pouring a glass of water, he hands me the glass and a large red pill. Just the thought of taking that makes my throat tight and dry.

I look up at Jason nervously. I don't want to take that stupid pill. I have no idea what Dr.Sullivan could have put in that thing. For all I know it could be poison or something to make me go to sleep again. Jason is still holding his hand out expectantly. He's so adamant on me taking these pills it's sickening. Taking the pill from his hand, I take a deep breath. I tilt my head back and swallow. Immediately, I drink the water, allowing it to guide the pill down my throat. I choke a little bit, and tears gather in my eyes. Of course I don't let them fall.

I glare tearfully at Jason for making me take the stupid thing, but before he can utter out an apology, I'm already halfway up the stairs. I rush into the bathroom, sitting in front of the toilet.

I didn't want to have to do this but I don't really have a choice. I have no idea what these pills will do to me and honestly, I don't want to find out. I don't exactly know how to do this but from what I overheard from a few other patients, it does work so I have to try. I take my index and middle finger, and place them in my mouth, firing them down my throat. I gag and choke a few times, but I refuse to stop. Soon though I cough mercilessly, and I'm forced to take my fingers out. I cough and lean against the toilet dejectedly.

I can't do it, I think sadly. My throat hurts now and even though the coughing has died down, I still feel like I'm choking.

I think the worst part about this isn't the fact that I almost choked, it's the fact that I now have to face the effect of those pills. I don't even know what they could do to me...

A loud knock sounds at the door, making me jump. The door creaks open, and Jason comes walking inside. I mentally scold myself for forgetting to lock the door. That was so stupid of me.

Jason looks at me worriedly. He reaches out to touch my forehead but I smack his hand away before he has the chance to. He looks at me shocked, then the shock turns to sadness. "Hey it's okay," he says softly. "I just wanna talk. Is that okay with you?" I stare at him for a few moments before finally nodding my head.