Chapter 12

Alex and Jason stare at me in shock. My throat hurts from using it after so long but they got my message. Alex hangs his head in shame while Jason just continues to stare at me.

Memories of my nights at the asylum hit me like a brick. The doctors with their long needles, the medicine that made me sick to the point where I vomited on myself, the patients who beat me just for the fun of it. I grab my head in pain, wincing. My knees collapse and I fall to the floor. Covering my ears with my hands, I attempt to block out the voices of the doctors. I try to stop the screaming of the patients but they just continue to come. It feels like my ears are going to bleed from how loud they are. My loud screams fill the air as I try to make the noise stop.

Someone grabs my shoulder and yells my name, but I panic, taking a shard of glass that I threw on the floor and stabbing them deeply with it. There is a deep yell of pain as Jason clutches at his leg. The glass shines in the light of the kitchen as it sticks out from his skin.

Alex tackles me to the ground, surprising me. His blue eyes seem to become fiery as he stares at me with pure hatred. He bares his teeth at me, growling lowly. His large body is giant and heavy compared to my tiny one, and for the first time in a long time, I feel actual fear. I haven't felt like this in so long but as I gaze into those bright blue eyes my entire body feels like it's become cold. Jason doesn't exist to us anymore. It's just me and him and in this moment, I know that he wants to kill me.

"You bitch," he growls, his voice in a low pitch that I've never heard before. I hope that I never have to hear it again. He grabs my head on both sides and lifts it, then slams it down onto the tile floor. My ears begin to ring and I cry out. When I open my eyes again there are black spots. Alex is thrown off of me by Jason, who holds his brother close to his chest. Alex struggles against him and Jason whispers into his ear. I lay on the floor with my head throbbing for a good 30 seconds as Jason holds a cursing Alex. I roll over and stand up on wobbly legs. My ears are still ringing and I have to try and balance myself for a good couple of seconds.

Alex falls limp against Jason's chest, mumbling things to himself. Jason doesn't loosen up his hold on him though, sighing softly. He notices me staring at them and looks up at me. Before any words can leave his mouth, I turn and run out the kitchen. He calls my name but I don't listen as I run through the living room and out the front door. I don't stop even when the cold air of nighttime hits me and pokes at my skin. I keep running until I'm out of breath. I stop to lean on my knees, taking deep breaths. When I look back up I notice that I have no clue where I am. I ran all the way the town where me and Jason went to that museum together. There are dozens of shops surrounding me but the streets are practically empty with only a few people walking.

Nervousness sets in now that I've realized what I've done. I ran away from my brothers and the only people who really know me. I don't even know where I am and I'm all alone. The wind howls and I shiver. My feet move in a random direction, leading me down the empty streets. The sound of thunder booms from above me. Rain doesn't follow too long after it, and in a matter of seconds I'm soaked. I walk to a small alley and sit down. To just get a small bit of warmth I bring my knees to my chest and ball myself up tightly. The events of what just happened at home run through my head. Out of pure anger, I grip the sleeve of my shirt tightly, undoubtedly scratching myself. Alex's blue eyes flash in front of me briefly and I can feel the fear that ran through me when I saw them in person.

I no longer have a home now. I can't go back to my brothers. They framed me for my parents' murder and were more than willing to let me live with the pain. Something warm runs down my cheek and it isn't rain. I touch my cheeks gently and look at the strange new liquid. Tears. Am I...crying?

I bang my fist on the hard concrete below me. What should I be crying for? I've been without my brothers before, so I don't understand why this hurts so much. More tears follow the ones before it, and soon enough I'm sobbing into my hands. I cry like the first day back in the asylum. "Why does God hate me so much," I think to myself. I hit my head with my fists. I want to scream. I want to go back there and rip Alex's head off. I want my parents back. I just want this all to go away. After a few minutes of hating myself, my tears finally stop. My arms fall limply to the side of my body. The rain doesn't even bother me anymore, but my body continues to shiver.