Chapter 11

Yeah... I'm not even gonna try to make any excuses for this one. I have a lot to say and explain some things at the end of the chapter, but first, I'd like to dedicate this special chapter to AnimeMadWoman. She's so awesome so go check out some of her stuff. Now please enjoy the chapter!

-

It hurts to open my eyes. I lie in silence on something large and soft. Could it be a bed? If it is, then whose bed is it? It doesn't matter. I can feel something cold on my chest and voices are loud in my ears. My head is pounding as I struggle to finally open my eyes, and when I do, I immediately regret it. Three doctors, all dressed in white coats stand over me. Their surgical masks cover their faces. They look so similar to the doctors back at the asylum.

I'm back at the asylum, I think. My brothers took me back and abandoned me once again. Without thinking, I jump up, shocking the doctors surrounding me. "Adeline, please lie back down," a man says. He grabs my arm and I quickly bite his hand as hard as I can. He yells out in pain and the other doctors try to come to his aid. They pull on my arms and yank me back. A chunk of the man's skin comes with me though, still resting in my teeth. The man howls in pain, dropping to the floor and still holding his bleeding hand. I taste the copper blood in my mouth and spit out the man's skin. It falls the floor and a nurse screams.

As the doctors hold me, I kick and scream, wanting to be let go. I don't want to be back here! I want to go home!

Something sharp is plunged into my neck and I whimper loudly. Black dots cloud my vision and once again, I'm out like a light.

When I wake up again, my arms are strapped down to my sides. I yank them but it's no use. I hear footsteps approaching me, and I look up to see Alex. He bends down next to the bed that I lie in and strokes my hair gently.

"Oh my God Addy," he gasps. "Are you okay? How do you feel?" I shrug my shoulders and look at him sadly. I don't want to be here.

Alex looks as if he's on the verge of tears and continues stroking my hair. "Addy, do you know what happened?" I shake my head. "You almost drowned in the tub. I tried to call you to dinner but you didn't answer. When I went to your room, you weren't there so I went to the bathroom. When I opened the door you were completely under the water. You weren't breathing, God Addy I was so worried."

Something about his story doesn't sound right to me. My head pounds as I try to think of the last thing I remember, but nothing comes to mind. He grabs my hand and I don't find the strength to pull away from him. He smiles at me almost pitifully. "Don't worry Addy, as soon as you're better Jason's gonna come and we're taking you back home. He'll make everything alright."

Better.

For some reason, that word haunts me. It feels like a burden that I can't lift because I know that I will never be better. They tried to make me better at the asylum and that didn't help. My brothers tried to help me get better and look how that ended up. No amount of treatment can fix what's wrong with me.

I just lay on the bed, numbly. I look out the window when a small blue bird flies on the windowsill. I stare at it and it stares back at me. I feel like we understand each other. Maybe it's just as lonely as me. I don't talk to or even acknowledge anyone when they come into my room. Even when the doctor comes in and tries to talk to me, I never once lift my head or pay him any mind. I just stare at the window watching as the blue bird takes flight.

I've been in the hospital for almost a week now, and I'm now allowed to have my restraints off. I take small walks around the hallways. The doctor says that I should walk around for at least an hour to get in some exercise. At first they wanted a nurse to walk around with me to make sure that I won't hurt myself. After the first 2 days, they finally let me walk around by myself after I promised to be back as soon as my hour was up.