Chapter 10

I lift her small body up from the floor, carrying her to her room. The pills that my brother gave to her knocked her out like a light. I carefully lay her on the bed, not wanting to wake her up, though I know it's useless. The medicine will keep her out for at least the rest of the day. When my brother told me what he was going to do, I was horrified at first. I couldn't imagine using pills on my own little sister. My heart practically shattered when we had to use the needle on her at the mall. I look at her sleeping form and my heart sinks. She doesn't deserve the things that happened to her. She's just a child.

I remember watching from the doorway as her and my twin talked. Her eyes were dull and lifeless. Like a doll's. He tried to talk to her. To somehow get through the doll's plastic and reach her heart. But I can see better. There's no longer a living girl there. The only thing there is a dull plastic heart. No longer capable of feeling anything. She didn't process a word that he said, merely listening in hopes that he'd buy her lie. It makes me sad to know that such a young girl, once full of life, is now nothing more than the shallow hollow of a person.

My poor baby sister.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Breakfast the next morning is uncomfortable. When I woke up this morning, I was laying in my bed and I could barely remember anything that happened yesterday. I remember my lesson with Jace and everything else after that is a blur. I watch Jason and Alex closely as we eat breakfast. Jason hums contently every once in a while as he takes bites of his pancakes. Alex sits next to him with his head down as he eats. He hasn't said a word to me or Jason since we've woken up this morning. He glances up at me and the look in his eyes almost makes me gasp.

He looks completely exhausted. His black, normally styled hair, is tousled, and there are dirk circles under his eyes. He has a hopeless look that is all too familiar to me. It reminds me of Kat's look back in the asylum.

"Everything okay Addy?" Jason looks at me intently as he talks. I watch him carefully, debating about whether or not I should answer, before finally mouthing a small "yes".

We return back to eating in complete silence before Jason breaks it once again. "I was thinking that maybe we could go out today. Get some sunshine, ya know?" It seems like his words are met with deaf ears because me nor Alex make any indication that we were listening. Jason glances back and forth between us, a look of worry briefly crossing his features. "What's going on with you two? You've both been quiet all morning." He chuckles. "Well one of us has been more quiet than usual."

I glare at him for his stupid remark, and for a brief second I think about stabbing him with the fork that rests in my hand. I resist the urge though and only look at Alex. He's looks so sad and broken. It's pathetic.

He slowly lifts his head from its dejected posture and gives us a small smile. "Sorry, I just didn't feel very well when I woke up this morning."

Jason hums and nods understandingly. He puts his hand on Alex's shoulder and I don't miss the way that Alex flinches at the contact. Jason doesn't seem to notice though and smiles at his twin. "Why don't you lie back down then? I can handle the dishes." Alex looks like he's about to protest, but a strong look from Jason makes him keep his mouth shut.

"I think that's a good idea," he says standing up. Before he leaves his seat though, his twin leans up, whispering something into his ear. Alex nods, then throws his dishes into the sink and goes upstairs out of my sight. I'm left all alone with Jason now, and for a strange reason I feel my stomach begin to knot and my palms are sweaty.

"Go on and put your dishes in the sink Addy so that we can go out. I'll wash them later." I nod and do as he instructs, leaving into the living room when I'm finished. Jason walks into the living room with one hand firmly closed and the other holds a small cup. He gives me the small pill that Dr.Sullivan told me to take and I glare up at him. He sighs and looks at me sadly. "Let's not make this any harder than it has to be Addy. Please take your medicine."