Keeping Calm

I break down completely and the next thing I know I am on Nick's office couch, sobbing my eyes out. This is exactly what I was trying to avoid. I hate tears, tears show weakness. And I am not emotional, or weak. I am not that girl, or at least I never used to be that girl. But Nick was changing me, already. I had only knew the man for a few short days and already he is changing me into one of those girl. And there is nothing I can do to stop it. 

His arms are around me, comforting me, as I stain his shirt with my tears. We just sit there, not speaking, nothing. I just cry away and he just holds me. And I actually start to feel better. I glance up at him through my tears. He still seems angry but the harshness has gone away, his eyes look softer now. My Nick is back. Did I just call him my Nick! What is wrong with me. 

"April." He begins, sounding strained. 

"You shoudln't be here." 

"Nick, I have to be here." I reply, trying to hold my ground. As much as I hate my tears, I have to admit it beats staring at the four walls alone in his apartment.

"No, you don't. I told you to stay at home" He says, he seems to be trying to keep calm. 

I know he is angry. I disobeyed him, but it was my decision to make, not his. "I'm sorry, but I needed to do something. " I say, I don't want to admit that I was scared to be alone, that was pathetic. 

"You disobeyed me, April. You should have stayed in the apartment. You need to rest and heal, not work." He demands. His anger is clear in his voice now. 

"Nick..." 

"No! Don't Nick me. I told you to stay home and you disobeyed me, you need to go home now. Before I put you over my knee and punish you right here." He explains, in his dominant voice. 

I shiver, even after all the tears, I still feel the wetness pooling between my legs at the thought of his 'punishment'. 

"Go home." He forces me to my feet. 

I shake my head. I can't go home. 

He glares at me. "April! Don't test me right now." Nick says. 

I shake my head again. 

"Are you testing my patience right now April? Because now is truly not the time, I would love to punish you right now, but I can't. You are hurt, and in pain. And I can't bear to see you this way, never mind to lay a hand on you." He explains. 

"But please just go home." He pleads.

"I can't" I reply. 

'Why not? I can have someone drive you home. Your friend Sasha maybe? Or I will call you a cab." He says.

I shake me head. "I can't go home Nick. I just can't" 

"Why not!?" He shouts.

"Because, I can't be alone! Okay? Please I just can't." I start to cry again, and I can't even look Nick in the eye. This is so weak. I am actually desperate right now and its so obvious. 

His hand strokes my face then. His fingers tilting my head up to look him in the face. All the anger is gone now, he has flipped the switch again. From dominating, strict Nick, to soft, caring, and kind Nick. I smile weakly, not knowing what else to do or say. He leans in and plants a gentle kiss on my lips. 

"Okay..." He sighs, giving up. 

Relief courses through me I was scared he was going to kick me out and lave me by myself.  

"I will just finish up some paperwork and then you and I will go home.... together." He says smiling widely. 

I nod, enjoying his smile and the sound in his voice as he says together. Like it is a delicate flower petel that needs to be cherished.