Four - Aria's P.O.V

Aria's P.O.V

Not making eye contact, I drop my gaze to the floor. I start tapping my hand against my leg, trying to think of anything but this. I try to think of flowers blossoming underneath the generous sun. I try to think of birds singing their peaceful songs, beckoning all the creatures around them to wake up. I try to think of dogs rummaging around, trying to retrieve the ball and present it to their owners. But, my mind wanders back to my current situation.

All of a sudden, I start to hyperventilate. Possible outcomes of the event already unfolding in front of me play in my head. What if he notices that I don't work here? What if he finds out about the gang? What if he punishes me for being in his palace?

Building up my courage, I lift my head up and stare into his harsh grey eyes. The tension between us makes it impossible to look into his eyes for longer than a few uncounted seconds. As I continue to stare at him the tension increases, causing me to shift my gaze to his jaw.

Almost instantly, I notice his jaw clenching and unclenching. Fear surges through me as I continue to watch him. I can feel my knees waiting to buckle underneath me but I stand strong, not wanting him to see my fear.

His jaw begins to move up and down but I take no notice. Suddenly, he starts clenching and unclenching his jaw again. Replaying his actions over and over again, I come to an unfortunate conclusion. He must have been talking.

I allow my eyes to travel along his features until they come to a halt. Noticing the twitch in his right eye, I fiddle with my fingers. The King begins to talk again once he notices I am now paying attention to him.

"Why are you still on my property?" He asks while giving me an impatient look. His appearance is scary, I'll tell you that. He is wearing a black suit which makes him look like a billion dollars and his sandy brown hair is slicked back using a ton of hair gel, giving him a look of importance.

I try to speak but my voice gives up on me. I can already feel the sweat running down my face as I evaluate my options. I can either run out of the palace and suffer the consequences or I can continue to stand here and still suffer. I let out a silent sigh. They both have immense consequences, so which one do I choose?

"Why are you still on my property?" The King asks once again.

The anger in his voice sends repetitive chills down my spine. I clear my throat, ensuring that this time I will be able to answer his question.

"I am just looking for the employee room, your highness." I try to sound as confident as I can but I am unsuccessful. My voice cracked simultaneously during my attempt at an excuse.

My fear begins to build up again at each passing second. He seems to be considering my explanation, but, he never alters his gaze. It remains glued to my eyes. His voice breaks me out of my thoughts.

"The employee room is that way, change out of your work attire and leave." He states as he points in the direction of a hallway I have never seen before.

"Thank you, your highness."

Relief floods over me once I process his response. Turning around, I make my way to the employee room. After a few successful steps, I am stopped in my tracks. The king's voice causes me to turn my head. I find him stood in the same position, only now he isn't tensing his jaw.

"I expect to see you tomorrow morning, do you understand?" His forceful look causes me to nod my head. The king gives me a slight nod as he exits the room, leaving me stood there, rooted to the spot.

I just agreed to work for the king.

The next few minutes go by in a blur. I jog to the employee room, remove the maid's outfit and scramble out of the palace.

Once I am safely out of the royal families property, I sigh whilst raking my tremoring hand through my hair. I can't help but frown as my hand comes into contact with each damaged strand. My frown deepens as I try to untangle the knots which populate my once prized possession. Then, one thought flashes through my mind. I didn't get the files.

I have been working for a gang for a few weeks now. The gang set up tasks for each member within it. Unfortunately, I was given the dreaded job. I have to sneak into the houses of wealthy families and retrieve files, having the files allows us to know everything about the family and their property.

For the tasks I have done, I have completed them all successfully, but, this time is different. I got caught and I didn't get a chance to retrieve the files. I can only hope that my boss will consider letting me stay as a member of the gang. Even though my boss can seem nice to some people, mostly his family, his dark side can always make appearances when you least expect it.

I try to plan out what I am going to say as I make my way back to his house which I am currently living in, but, my mind goes blank, giving me no other option but to make it up on the spot and hope it sounds believable.

I decide to study my surroundings while I walk back. I then scan the area until I find something worthwhile. Shattered glass lays still on the ground as the light from the stars shines onto it and reflects in all directions. I stop walking and just stand there, admiring the magical object. A few minutes pass until I decide to continue my trek to the house. I allow my feet to carry me there whilst I focus on the rest of my surroundings.

I pass multiple street lights which light up the sidewalk. They are mechanical angels, ensuring that people get home safely. A stray cat scurries past me causing me to stumble to the side. Regaining my balance, I continue to make my way down the street. Cracked pavement greets my feet as they come into contact with it. Without noticing, I walk into someone. A familiar scent wraps around me. Fear engulfs me one I realize who it is.

It's my boss.